UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2009, 10:59 pm   #21
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: Weak f.m on Ferguson 382U radio

Hi,

I had similar probs with a Murphy U502, after changing the caps decoupling the two screens of the I.F. amps the radio played excellently. (I think they were 0.01uf)

Cheers
Old 31st Oct 2009, 11:15 pm   #22
telstar
Octode

Hi Lee. Many thanks for your reply. I tried changing both screen grid de-coupler caps, both rated at 4700pF, but to no avail.
However, I did note the following differences in voltages on the UCH81 valve.
Switched to f.m band, the screen grid voltage on pin one read 100 volts, and the anode voltage on pin 6 read 135 volts.
When switched to m.w band, the screen grid voltage was the same as f.m, but the anode voltage read a healthy 180 volts. I wonder if the fault lies between the UCH81 and UF89 valves?
There is a ceramic coupling cap that I have not replaced yet, it is between the sg2 on the UCH81 valve and the I.F.T F.M.
Cheers
Mike
Old 10th Nov 2009, 8:18 pm   #23
telstar
Octode

Hi. I managed to obtain a copy of the BRTR service sheet for the Ferguson 382U radio, and the details of the voltage for the UCH81 anode, when switched to f.m was actually the same as the measurement that I took for it earlier. The tubular ceramic caps seem to be quite reliable in these old radios, but I did replace them.
I noticed that the grid stopper resistor (UL84)had gone up in value by at least 2kohm, and replacing it did make some improvements, but still no f.m.
I will keep on trying with this project, as it brings memories of a 382U that my grandparents had in 1961, when they lived in a cottage in Rendham, Suffolk.
Normally, I do not have much problems with a.m/f.m radios, but this one is a bit of a menace to sort out.
Cheers
Mike
Old 10th Nov 2009, 11:28 pm   #24
Steve_P
Dekatron

Undo he FM box and look at L1/L2 and try a tweak of L3.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 11th Nov 2009, 8:31 pm   #25
telstar
Octode

Hi. Many thanks for the reply. I might try that, and see if things improve.
I am beginning to wonder, though, if the brass cog that an engineer made for me, to activate the w/c switch (replacing the broken plastic one), is causing the switch to bypass the f.m contacts, but making good contact with the long and medium wave bands ? The small pointer on the w/c switch knob should be actually "flush" with the f.m, m.w, l.w, gram markings shown on the dial, but it is slightly out.
I wonder if the other guy on this forum that had a w/c gear made for his 382U radio can let me have details of his supplier ? I might try and contact him, should I find if there is a fault on the cog that I have.
Cheers
Mike
Old 11th Nov 2009, 9:21 pm   #26
Steve_P
Dekatron

Switch to VHF. Take the relevant wires off the Wavechange Control and wire them directly. See if that improves it. If it does, then the Wavechange Control is at fault.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 13th Nov 2009, 8:24 pm   #27
telstar
Octode

Hi Steve. I will try and remove the relevant wires soon and join them directly. At present, I know that the h.t is being switched via S1A (B.R.T.R sheet R124), so that switch section must be ok.
Cheers
Mike
Closed Thread