UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2019, 7:56 pm   #1
sentinel040
Hexode

Location: Near Lichfield, Staffordshire, UK, most of the time and Crystal Palace, S London, some of the time..
Default Hudson handset

Firstly I am not sure if this is best suited here or in the telephony section.

Currently one of my longer term projects is the resurection of a late 50's / early 60's Hudson AM108 "Radiophone". I have found a handset that appears to be of the right style. However, there always seems one of those, the curly cord is no longer curly and I wonder about whether it is possible to re-coil it and if so, the best way to go about it.

The second point is that it came without the mouthpiece inset, although the supplier kndly found one that fitted and sent it on afterwards. Now time for another however; however, there is a thin black wire that goes nowhere and a threaded insert with nothing in it. I also doubt the efficacy of the insert as well; whish is anther matter. Any comments chaps?

Thank you for any help forthcoming.

Regards

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5222018.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	183654   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5222019.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	183655   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5222021.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	183656  
Old 22nd May 2019, 9:06 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Hudson handset

I think the wire is off the microphone. Some inserts had a terminal on the side, some just pushed in and had a spring connection.
Old 22nd May 2019, 9:31 pm   #3
sentinel040
Hexode

Location: Near Lichfield, Staffordshire, UK, most of the time and Crystal Palace, S London, some of the time..

Thank you Bill.

Ian
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:11 pm   #4
Peter F4VSA
Tetrode

I have an AM108 somewhere in the workshop, no microphone sadly

Peter
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:02 pm   #5
Julesomega
Nonode

I had read your earlier post with interest
Hudson help
I have 1½ 108s, I'm pretty sure they are boot-mount FM, and if I can find it I had a cabin control and speaker unit. I worked out the power IP connections and if I can't find my sketches I can do it again. Let me know if you want any units or parts

It's good here
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:52 pm   #6
Julesomega
Nonode

My apologies, I can only find the 'half' and I vaguely recall passing the complete set on to a PMR collector some years ago, apparently with my sketches.

Looking again, these were really rather wonderful units, with lots of relays and RF test points. Looking carefully at your photos we can see there is no PTT switch on the handset as these were fully talk-through, can't think of the proper term. This required some serious front-end filtering, even for mid-band. The 455kHz IF filtering was a big 'block' filter except these you could open up, probably even retune.

My memories of buying these are similarly vague but I remember how keen the guy was for me to take 'the lot' or at least several more; at the time everyone was buying Cambridges for 4m
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hudson Rx Chassis.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	183698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hudson beneath L.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	183699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hudson beneath R.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	183700  

It's good here
Old 23rd May 2019, 2:21 pm   #7
Julesomega
Nonode

I meant 'full-duplex'

It's good here
Old 26th May 2019, 10:23 am   #8
sentinel040
Hexode

Thank you everybody; I am sorry for the somewhat delayed response, unfortunately acting as a de-facto carer means do not allways have much time to myself and this has been one of those periods.

The handset I have does have the PTT bar, although black on black with worn writing does not make it the easiest of things to spot on a low resolution image!

I did manage to find a manual only for it to be "lost" by the courier (the radios in the same consignment turned up on eBay, but that is another sad frustrating story) so I only have a very poor scan to work with. I have had to replace all the black Hunts capacitors as every one had a cracked case and the inverter struggled, it became happier the more I changed.... I have just manged to free of the cores, which were locked with some of fosilised wax that had become hard and brittle.

I do have a remote control unit as well, but this radio appears been re-worked with an engraved insert on the front panel along with all the local controls, so for the time being I am concentrating on getting it working as local control. It makes for an interesting comparison with the Pye Ranger of the same period; and despite being a bit of a Pye fan I have to say I think I prefer the Hudson, but then again I have not actually got it working yet.

I suppose whilst away from home the next task is to see if I can find a way of re-coiling the handset lead.

Regards and best wishes

Ian

Last edited by sentinel040; 26th May 2019 at 10:25 am. Reason: Odd formatiing
Old 26th May 2019, 12:25 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

I believe GEC were the first to get long lasting coils in their handset cords, I don't know if there's a way of rejuvenating them other than replacement.
Old 27th May 2019, 3:56 pm   #10
sentinel040
Hexode

Bill;

Thank you for that. The problem is I have as yet to find a source of suitable coiled leads; these are quite heavy duty compared to "normal" handset leads.

Regards

Ian
Old 27th May 2019, 6:28 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Some of the 1980s Pye "MOULD" civil-defence radios had impressively-heavy-duty curly handset-cables - you might be able to repurpose one of these for your Hudson.

[The MOULD handset-cables were good-enough to be used at mains-voltage for soldering-irons. Rumour has it that at least one found its way to being used by a Pye technician's girlfriend as an early 'extending dog-lead' for a Yorkshire Terrier!]
Old 27th May 2019, 7:04 pm   #12
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

If I remember correctly the Pye handsets were made by Ackerman (spelling may not be 100%)

Fred
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 7:53 pm   #13
sentinel040
Hexode

Once again thank you.

I suppose I will have to keep on looking. I seem to remember in my under-graduate days trying to coil an ordinarly screened lead by warming it around a former - it was partially sucessful and sufficed for the temporary duty it was required for, although would probably not have lasted too long. I suppose that in the back of my mind was the thought that can the coils be re-formed by heating; or is that just wishful thinking?!

Cheers

Ian
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 8:32 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The 'official' curly-coil handset cables made by the likes of A.P.Besson/S.G.Brown had a spiral Nylon spring-core around which the individual 'tinsel' wires were grouped before being encapsulated in the outer rubber/PVC jacket. the problem with these sometimes getting 'reverse' twisted over part of their length and thereafter taking a 'set' so always wanting to reverse-twist even if you repeatedly corrected this - was never really solved - and the issue persists on telephone handsets to this day!

[In times-past, if someone complained that the curly-coil on their expensive Cisco VoIP-phone's handset was reverse-twisting, I used to dismiss it as 'being caused by high levels of local Entropy']
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 9:41 pm   #15
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Ackerman handsets... been thinking on that Fred. It has taken a few days to come back.
Radiophones based on FM900 and such surely used those. I still have some. They can work on an FM900 for use on Amateur Bands but you have to carry the function of the "odd" keys in your head.

They had very strong rubber coiled cables. Quite unlike the smooth PVC type which accompanied Whitehall and similar - more like telephone handset quality.

Rectangular Pye Westminster Mic also had good quality hard rubber but it wasn't immune to getting the dreaded reversed turns. CCC becoming CC8CC
Old 4th Jun 2019, 9:13 pm   #16
Julesomega
Nonode

Found this while looking for something else
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Handset [1].JPG
Views:	78
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	184448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Handset [2].jpg
Views:	76
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	184449  

It's good here
Old 12th Jun 2019, 8:44 pm   #17
sentinel040
Hexode

I am sorry for not responding sooner, life makes it a tad difficult at present.

It least I now know there is no point in trying to re-coil it, that saves hijacking hairdryers and such like...

Julian, that looks remarkably similar cable wise, do you happen to know what it belonged to? I suppose its back to searching the usual sort of shark infested water online! Caveat Emptor and all that. At least the rig is slowly coming on, time to search for HC6U crystal holders, they used to be simple to find, but then again thats another story.

Once again thank you

73 Ian
Old 12th Jun 2019, 11:08 pm   #18
Julesomega
Nonode

What did it come from? Dunno, maybe a Hudson 108

Any use to you? Drop me a PM

It's good here
Old 14th Jun 2019, 10:12 pm   #19
sentinel040
Hexode

PM sent! 73.
Closed Thread