UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2019, 12:12 pm   #161
Station X

Default Re: Trio 9R-59D receiver problems.

This lengthy thread appears to be going nowhere, so I'll make this my last contribution.

Regarding the hum problem first mentioned 150 posts ago.

Have you checked the terminations and routing of the new cable to the volume control? You can do this by comparing the wiring with that of the second set.

Have you made sure that all valve screening covers are in place?

Have you tried unbolting the relocated output transformer, moving it round on its leads and rotating it on its axis with respect to the mains transformer?

I think that the earth wire of the mains flex in the "second" set is too long. A good place to terminate it would be on a solder tag held by the mains lead clamp.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Jan 2019, 12:30 pm   #162
JulietMike
Tetrode

Trevor,

Better to connect the brown "live" wire to the fuseholder. If the fuse should blow the live mains voltage would not then be present on the receiver. The cable clamp is an improvement.

I wonder if the hum problem is due to some "alterations" by a previous owner.
John

Last edited by JulietMike; 27th Jan 2019 at 12:36 pm. Reason: Missed word
Old 27th Jan 2019, 12:38 pm   #163
Humptydumpty
Pentode

Graham

1 i fitted new screen covers to the three valves that will acomodate them
2 The new mains brown wire is in place on the right tag of on off selector switch.
3 As for teansformer it been in two locations now this makes no change to the hum
4 I will relocate the earth to a closer place on the chassis .
One thing that as not been mentioned is the mains transformer years ago lot of old radios had this hum and it all boiled down to the transformer ...Thanks for you help .And yes it has been a long post .But a few ngood members came to help and were with me all through . Like yourself Graham , and David .And thanks to the members that gave support to me . Phil G4SPZ pulled out,because i was getting on his nerves also . But Phil did help me along the way .And i thanked him for that .Like i am thanking you all right now . But please ,if you come up with another idea for me to try please let me know .Regards Trevor
Old 27th Jan 2019, 1:22 pm   #164
JulietMike
Tetrode

Trevor,

Where does the screened wire from V9, the voltage stabiliser, terminate. The wire originally fitted would not have been screened.

Previously you mentioned that the other receiver also has an unaceptable level of mains hum. It might be an idea to try connecting the new capacitors to that set.

John
Old 27th Jan 2019, 1:57 pm   #165
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulietMike View Post
Trevor,

Where does the screened wire from V9, the voltage stabiliser, terminate. The wire originally fitted would not have been screened.

John
John.

I can tell you how the wiring was when the set came out of the factory:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...50&postcount=9

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Jan 2019, 2:14 pm   #166
JulietMike
Tetrode

Graham,

Many thanks - that is how I thought it should be in Trevor's receiver. The photo in #146 shows a screened wire - no idea why, unless it's in place of the long red wire going to the 150R resistor.

John
Old 27th Jan 2019, 7:32 pm   #167
Humptydumpty
Pentode

John are you sure that the brown live wire should go to the fuse holder . At the time when i saw it i was not sure if it was in the right location .
Old 27th Jan 2019, 7:38 pm   #168
Humptydumpty
Pentode

John in your post i can not see the mark on the my picture i posted , of a screened cable . I used black shrink wrap on a few wires . My receiver as the extra 9th valve . That wire your talking about might be from the transformer as it was fitted under the chassis from up top side, wires were extended to get it in the new location .

Last edited by Humptydumpty; 27th Jan 2019 at 7:50 pm.
Old 27th Jan 2019, 8:03 pm   #169
Humptydumpty
Pentode

Quote:
Trevor,
I have marked a screened wire with a # symbol in the attached photo. Where is the other end connected ?

John
I see it now John, and i will look at the screened wire and to were it goes Monday .
Old 27th Jan 2019, 9:09 pm   #170
Humptydumpty
Pentode

I never fitted original three core cable ,or twin and earth . The white wire was in there when i had the receiver first ,.I only re fitted it in the same order as it came to me .I removed the not from the lead and i then fixed it to the chassis .Last picture will give you a better idea .The other set came with twin core mains wire .I did the same mod to the mains lead that was on the first set . Blue to the fuse .I can change it over but is it going to do any good .I pulled the fuse on the set ,and it went off right away .Need some one to say that blue to fuse is wrong before i change over to brown .
Old 27th Jan 2019, 9:54 pm   #171
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humptydumpty View Post
Phil G4SPZ pulled out,because i was getting on his nerves also . But Phil did help me along the way .And i thanked him for that .
The reason that I pulled out was purely because Trevor had apparently ceased to take note of the advice that was being offered. I had previously provided advice, sent materials and exchanged over 60 private messages with Trevor even before this thread got started. I compliment those other Forum members who have stuck with it thus far for their patience, which is far greater than mine.

Good luck.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 27th Jan 2019, 10:35 pm   #172
JulietMike
Tetrode

Trevor,

The brown live wire should be connected to the fuse to protect the equipment in case of a short circuit to neutral or earth. If the neutral blue wire is connected to the fuse, a short circuit between live and earth would not blow the fuse.

John
Old 28th Jan 2019, 10:35 am   #173
Humptydumpty
Pentode

Thank you John . I will change it over now .

Last edited by Humptydumpty; 28th Jan 2019 at 10:46 am.
Old 28th Jan 2019, 10:46 am   #174
Humptydumpty
Pentode

And Phil i thought you had finished helping me .
But you have come back to let other members know the problem you had getting through to me .I think i have done fine with help from Graham and David -John also and other good members. This is about a receiver and not about me.
Old 28th Jan 2019, 3:42 pm   #175
Humptydumpty
Pentode

Quote:
Trevor,

The brown live wire should be connected to the fuse to protect the equipment in case of a short circuit to neutral or earth. If the neutral blue wire is connected to the fuse, a short circuit between live and earth would not blow the fuse.

John
This is it John .The wire that is if interest goes from the 9th valve 4A2 i think the numberit is see pictures .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04968.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	177257   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04969.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	177258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04970.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	177259   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04974.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	177260   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04978.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	177261  

Old 28th Jan 2019, 4:04 pm   #176
Humptydumpty
Pentode

I think the hum may be from the mains transformer .So i removed all 4 of the screws so as to let the laminations [i know all about these i used to make them ] open up .Thats if there is any gaps . Next step will be to varnish the joints if any .Then clamp it back up ..
Old 28th Jan 2019, 5:05 pm   #177
JulietMike
Tetrode

Trevor,

V9 is a type OA2 voltage stabiliser.

That screened cable is the HT feed for the oscillator. The factory originally fitted a flexible red wire and a previous owner must have replaced it, probably in an attempt to "improve" stability.

I can see a thicker grey cable to the left in one of your photos and it was also not fitted at the factory. Where are the ends of that terminated ?

John
Old 28th Jan 2019, 6:07 pm   #178
Humptydumpty
Pentode

John The new grey wire was contributed by G4SPZ . They were originaly black .TYhe potentiometer was removed and replace just the same .I took pictures before i removed it from receiver .And to bring up a point the hum was there from day one .And before i replaced the potentiometer with the new one .Phil told me the right one to chose from CPC .And after it was fitted it cured the problem of a bad crackling as you moved it . But not the hum . If the wires on the pot were wrong the volume would not work as it should .But i will check it out on the other receiver just in case . I do have pictures some were .I will see if i can find them .
Old 28th Jan 2019, 9:10 pm   #179
Humptydumpty
Pentode

As per request picture of the switch on Trio no2 .
Need to remove the bottom Tuesday and check the pot on the 1st trio . Just to see if there is a wire fitted in the wrong place
Looks like white wire is fitted to no 1 tag and its shield to earth . Then another white wire to no2 tag and its shield to earth . Last tag no 3 on the pot is for earth .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04982.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	177282   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04983.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	177283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04984.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	177284   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04986.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	177285  
Old 29th Jan 2019, 9:16 pm   #180
Humptydumpty
Pentode

Think i may have found the problem with the Trio no 1 .
The receiver came to me with a vintage speaker .
The brass plug on the lead must have been 4 onces in weight .
All i did was remove the plug from the lead and solder 2 nice conectors on the end .
To day after re fitting the mains lead as i was told to - reverse the blue and brown and put the earth lead closer to the mains inlet on no2 set . I looked at the speaker and i though , could it be the speaker .Only other speaker i have is from my merc as i fitted new ones .
Fitted spare speaker and switched it on ===== and no hum. So i am looking for a good treble speaker now .. Looks as if these posts have died .. Graham Station X i would close this one down . And for other members that may have this problem ,then do try another speaker first This is one for the books .Thank you everyone the chipped in to help me .
Closed Thread