UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2018, 9:11 pm   #1
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Scout voltage regulator

I've been asked to look at a voltage regulator that I'm told comes from an old 'Scout' vehicle.

The description of the system (as I was told) was that the generator is a two-stage device, geared such that commutation system selects one of two gear ratios to keep the generator operating within certain rev limits - thereafter the regulator unit (shown below) switches in/out for further stabilisation of the supply.

I'm not familiar with vintage motor regulators and can't fathom how the circuit works - if anyone can offer advice on the circuit operation I'd be grateful for the knowledge.

There is an idea that the system fault is down to this module - the voltage output apparently shooting high - but at first thought I'd be inclined to think the commutation that switches gear ratios on the generator itself would be the cause...... assuming this is NOT the case (and the fault is in this module) what could cause such an issue to occur?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schematic.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	159931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	159932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	159933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	159934  
Old 25th Mar 2018, 10:34 pm   #2
ex seismic
Heptode

Default Re: Scout voltage regulator

This will be the two speed generator as used in early Ferrets (scout cars) and no doubt others of a similar vintage, e.g. Saracens. My Ferret has the later 90 amp alternator but still uses a similar control box. I gather that the relays and circuit breakers in the later boxes can give trouble so it might be worth having a look at those in your box.
There is a lot of Ferret info on the web, try googling for it, also look for FV701, the army designation.
As a starter try : http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk

regards,
Gordon
Closed Thread