UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2018, 8:07 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Wireless set 88 AFV connector.

I bought a WS88 AFV yesterday. Just the transceiver unit, the power supply/amplifier was not there and I suspect it won't turn up (I'll explain in a moment).

It looks very nice inside. The dessicator is missing (I assume that's what the 'DES' on the chassis layout is), but otherwise it looks untouched. Packing 14 valves into that little case is amazing.

It has been externally modified though. The cable that would connect to the amplifier/PSU unit has been hardwired to a home-made box with a toggle switch to select transmit/receive (replacing the 2 relay contacts for that purpose in the original amplfiier), an on/off switch and plugs for standard dry batteries (looks like an AD35 for LT and a B126 for HT). As a result the 6 pin socket that should be on the end of that cable is missing. It's 'SK3' on the official circuit diagram.

Does anyone know what that connector should be, and where I could get one. Ideally I'd want one of the cable mounting parts (I believe the female socket) for the radio and 2 chassis mounting parts (male plugs) for the PSU unit.
Old 17th Mar 2018, 2:46 pm   #2
G8BBZ
Pentode

Default Re: Wireless set 88 AFV connector.

The connector is a Plessey Mk.4 Aluminium body type - also known as Pattern 104.
If you look on the Electrojumble website he has them for sale.
Full documentation for WS88 AFV is available on the WS19 Group archive site at www.royalsignals.org.uk.
cheers
Peter G8BBZ
Old 17th Mar 2018, 6:04 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Thanks for that. I assume it's the small-size 6 way that I need. Actually I think I found the right cable mounting socket in my junk box, but no fixed plugs (yet!). But you have given me a source of those.

Alas I can't use the royalsignals site, the only e-mail addresses I have are ones they call 'free'
Old 18th Mar 2018, 11:11 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Alas I can't use the royalsignals site, the only e-mail addresses I have are ones they call 'free'
I'm not sure what you've tried, but a "free" @Yahoo.com address worked for me.
Closed Thread