UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2018, 12:35 pm   #21
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Re: Racal RA17

Yes, if memory serves - there was a (?BRT400?) receiver left tuned to 6005 kHz (?Austria?) with its signal strength output connected to a Record Instruments chart recorder. Used for Sudden Ionospheric Disturbance (SID) monitoring.
(Ian-G4JQT - have I got this right?)

G.
Old 11th Mar 2018, 12:49 pm   #22
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Racal RA17

Stu (Stuartwwillis): you have a P.M.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 12th Mar 2018, 3:35 pm   #23
stuartwwillis
Retired Dormant Member

Wow, where do I start?!

I'm truly blown away by how helpful you have all been and the interest you have shown in my quest to repair my Dad's RA17! Thank you! I've clearly stumbled into a community of very bright, technically minded and generous individuals that engage in what is clearly a very rewarding hobby. The speed at which you've all come to my aid is so unexpected, so much so that I must apologise for not checking my inbox until now - I had not expected to get a response for several days at least!

As for me, it's probably best to start with my knowledge. My knowledge of 1950s receivers or indeed any electrical products is limited to say the least. It was not until I started this that I realised older electrical products had 'valves' that 'glowed' - fascinating! I have a GCSE in electronics, I know the difference between a resistor, transistor and capacitor (although this may not assist much in this case). I know how to change a plug, wire a light fitting and wire a socket spur. I also have access to a basic digital multimeter. That's about it.

The general consensus is that I should bring the unit inside to commence the drying out process. I'll do this as soon as possible. I snuck a quick look at the receiver over the weekend, I said 'shed' but it's more of an 'annex' - an external building with no heating. It appears to be in great condition, well covered and kept away from any exposure. Of course this doesn't confirm the status of the internal components, but I remain hopeful!

Once dry I'll check the relevant fuses on the receiver (thanks to G8BBZ for your detailed explanation) and replace as necessary. Also, thank you to Radio Wrangler for your outstanding contextualisation of the history of the RA17 - a fascinating read! Your explanation makes me think that if I do get this receiver working I may invest some time in using it myself!

Pending the result, I've received some wonderful messages from various professionals and enthusiasts offering services from repairs to complete restoration, all varying in cost and quality - I'll start making some enquiries and go from there. Also thanks to JanWra1, for the linkā€¦ I'll check him out!

The one takeaway is that an RA17 is worth fixing, there is no doubt in my mind that my dad will be thrilled to see it working again.

Thanks all for your help. I'll keep you all posted.

Stu
Old 18th Mar 2018, 11:07 pm   #24
QWENIX
Pentode

Dont repair anything without knowing what you do. It went dead. So if you should change the mains fuse what would you do next.... Fire it up I guess? Dont ever start up valve equipment in repairment by testing it at full mains power. The receiver can get damaged severely. Starting up needs a variac = adjustable transformer and mauybe a glowing bulb of at least 100W in series (if the Racal takes the max 100 Watts).... Fuses can blow caused by a fault but fuses also can blow cause they are run out. If you're lucky this is the fact. But my first thought is that you maybe switched the the receiver on off on off.. this causes rushing currents and voltages that are too high for the fuses or some components. Success with repairment. Absolutely no full mains starting up applied after a "long" period of not in use ...... Qwenix
Closed Thread