UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2008, 12:14 pm   #1
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dead RIC2

Hi Guys,

I've picked up at the weekend (amongst other things) a very battered mustard Roberts RIC2.

However, when connected to a PP9, all I get is a "click" and a little scratching sound.

Any suggestions as to what vould bring audio back to this attractive little radio?

Regards

John
Old 10th Nov 2008, 12:56 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Dead RIC2

Hi John, First check out this article:-

http://www.vintage-radio.com/recent-...erts-ric2.html

Usual problems with these are dirty switch contacts, dodgy earphone sockets or if you are unlucky, the TAD100 chip that does most of the work at the front end. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 10th Nov 2008, 6:42 pm   #3
Mullard
Pentode

Default Re: Dead RIC2

I am currently looking at a Bush TR230 that is a similar design (TAD100, LP1175 IF filter). The Bush has only 2 transistors in the o/p (AC187, AC188) driven directly from the pre-amp in the TAD100. The Bush has a very similar fault. On switch on just a loud click, no hiss, nothing. Checking through with a scope, the oscillator is OK, the IF is OK, and I even get audio at pin 4 on the TAD100 (pre-amp input) when tuned to a station, but nothing out of pin 6 (pre-amp o/p). Both output transistors are also blown. I have just ordered 2 new o/p transistors and a replacement TAD100 (not new).

Regards,
John
Closed Thread