UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2018, 12:11 pm   #1
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Prepare to man the barricades

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45427232
Old 8th Sep 2018, 1:03 pm   #2
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Re: Prepare to man the barricades

I love the 'Compactum' wardobe - it reminds me of the quality of workmanship adopted by my eldest brother in his restoration of a 1932 motor cruiser. It would come in very handy for use in a workshop environment - the left-hand side for hanging test leads, cables etc.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 3:48 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Oh dear, I have earlier on today bought a teasmade to actually use as intended from a charity shop in Daventry

Christopher Capener
Old 8th Sep 2018, 6:06 pm   #4
dsergeant
Octode

Some strange things on that list. Answerphone still an essential here, could certainly use a camcorder if I had one, surprised they didn't put a camera on the list (film or not...).
Old 8th Sep 2018, 6:17 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I still use camcorders! Just recently bought a great big Sony HDV one, HVR-Z1e... it even uses tapes! iPhone cameras are only so useful, they don’t have a proper zoom lens for a start, and they only record mono sound (so much for ‘progress’!), nothing beats proper camcorders

Regards
Lloyd
Old 8th Sep 2018, 6:51 pm   #6
Electronpusher0
Nonode

My Mother-in-law still has a hostess trolley that gets wheeled out at Christmas and used, we have even been known to borrow it..........
Old 8th Sep 2018, 9:36 pm   #7
kellys_eye
Octode

Carpet sweepers are still in use in my locality - the church hall has about a dozen! All 'donated'.....
Old 8th Sep 2018, 9:37 pm   #8
kellys_eye
Octode

Re the 'inefficient' light bulbs...

Did anyone ever test them for their HEAT production (addition to normal room heating) as opposed to the LACK of heat from LEDs?

Does it make a difference?
Old 8th Sep 2018, 9:39 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Don't get carried away by the dropping water level. Only dead fish swim downstream..
Old 8th Sep 2018, 10:16 pm   #10
Sinewave
Octode

I love the sexist advert for the carpet sweeper.

I quote "Her Christmas present is a new style Bissell carpet sweeper"
Old 8th Sep 2018, 11:26 pm   #11
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote - The items identified by Prof Sugg Ryan - unquote, include the floppy disk. That puzzles me a bit. I can understand the old 8 inch floppies - as used with Shugart SA800 drives - being regarded as 'yesteryear's tech', but I assume that the Prof. is referring to 3½ inch FDDs. Yes, I know that they aren't fitted to modern PCs, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are in the same category as the other items he has listed. There must still be lots of PCs in existence that still use those FDDs - even if they are the 'external' type, connected to a PC by a USB connection. OTOH, ZIP and Jazz drives are obsolete - especially in comparison - but he doesn't list those.
Nevertheless, I found it to be an interesting article.

Al.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 11:51 pm   #12
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Exclamation Re: Prepare to man the barricades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
I love the sexist advert for the carpet sweeper.

I quote "Her Christmas present is a new style Bissell carpet sweeper"
I laughed at that, and printed it out to show my wife. She said "well, it was state of the art back then"

I said "OK - the modern equivalent is "Her Christmas Present - a Cordless Dyson. How would you feel if I bought you a Dyson for a Christmas present?"

"I'd probably kill you!"
Old 9th Sep 2018, 12:01 am   #13
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Ah - the Esiwork Dresser. We had a very similar unit in our kitchen in the very early 60's when I was about 6. In one of the little drawers was cloves, and I decided to have a smell of this very nice smelling spice. So little me climbed up - and the whole dresser toppled forward.

It jammed on the very edge of the cooker - only by an inch or so, and left me lying on the floor with the dresser about a foot from my nose, covered in broken crockery, the contents of the knife drawer, and everything else.

My parents were not at all cross - they were just horrified that precious me was a hairsbreadth from annihilation.

Without any fuss that I can remember the dresser magically vanished the very next day.

Craig
Old 9th Sep 2018, 2:15 am   #14
suebutcher
Heptode

Oh-oh, time to stock up on halogen bulbs before they disappear here! Can't use a LED for a mains limiter.
Old 9th Sep 2018, 9:10 am   #15
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

That's a good point, Sue. I have 40w, 60w, & 100w Filament bulbs for use in my Lamp limiter, but a couple of suitable wattage Halogens wouldn't go amiss as spares -if anyone around here still has any in stock!
Old 9th Sep 2018, 9:39 am   #16
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

B&Q has a load of those halogen bulbs within a bigger bulb types yesterday when I went in, strangely the bulbs I wanted which were the LED filament type with a screw base they had stopped selling! Instead they had similar ones but with a big chunk of nasty white plastic at the base... I didn’t want that as the bulb is on display in a clear glass fitting. Found one in Sainsbury’s instead.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 9th Sep 2018, 12:06 pm   #17
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellys_eye View Post
Re the 'inefficient' light bulbs...

Did anyone ever test them for their HEAT production (addition to normal room heating) as opposed to the LACK of heat from LEDs?

Does it make a difference?
No formal testing would be required.
Basic physics shows that such lamps are virtually 100% efficient as heaters.
Such lamps are indeed often used as low powered heaters to prevent plumbing from freezing, to warm tropical pets, and young livestock.

Not ideal for room heating though for several reasons.
1) Electricity is more expensive than most other heating fuels.
2) Lighting is required whenever it is dark, even when heating is not needed.
3) Lamps are usually fairly high up and the heat produced tends to make the ceiling hotter without much warming people lower in the room.
Old 9th Sep 2018, 12:41 pm   #18
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Lamps are usually fairly high up and the heat produced tends to make the ceiling hotter without much warming people lower in the room.
Indeed. I've always wondered about the effectiveness of those ceiling hung electric fires that point downwards from a height of several yards in factories and the like. I'm imagine most of the heat just went upwards!
Old 9th Sep 2018, 12:43 pm   #19
MrBungle
Dekatron

Filament lamps are not very efficient at all if you consider the efficiency of the energy conversion at generation time and the main utility is light. If you want filament heaters, you need ones with reflectors behind them and they’re not that efficient as a big chunk of the energy leaks into the air anyway as part of the cooling function of the system.
Old 9th Sep 2018, 1:19 pm   #20
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
That's a good point, Sue. I have 40w, 60w, & 100w Filament bulbs for use in my Lamp limiter, but a couple of suitable wattage Halogens wouldn't go amiss as spares -if anyone around here still has any in stock!
My local Sainsburys still has a range of halogen lamps on display. They are at their normal prices and there doesn't appear to be any urgency to clear them. There are lots of them still moving through the distribution chain so they will remain available for some time yet.

Good quality tungsten filament lamps will last a very long time in a lamp limiter, as they will only be energised occasionally and will normally be underrun even then.
Closed Thread