UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2018, 1:09 pm   #1
tigger449
Retired Dormant Member

Default Garrard 35SB

Hi folks,
I recently bought a Dynatron music centre with a Garrard 35SB turntable and I have two problems:

1. The turntable runs slow (about 31rpm & 42rpm according to an app on my phone) despite me fitting a new belt. Is anyone aware of any known trouble spots with this deck where I should start first or do I need to do a complete strip-down and service?

2. The cartridge fitted to the headshell isn't the same as the one described in the manual that came with the machine, so I'm having trouble sourcing a replacement stylus. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't give a number for the original cartridge. Does anyone know which model might have been fitted to this deck?

Thanks for your help!
Old 2nd Sep 2018, 1:40 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 35SB

We tended to fit the Goldring G800 Moving Magnet cartridge, but this sometimes got substituted for a Shure M75. A photo would help. In terms of your speed readings, these are not that much off spec. In spite of its pretentions, it's still a budget turntable. If you do use any lubricant in the obvious places, use sewing machine oil, not WD40.
Old 2nd Sep 2018, 2:37 pm   #3
tigger449
Retired Dormant Member

That's useful info, Edward. A bit of further online research has suggested the cartridge might be a Vernitron V100....
My hearing must be better than I thought (or the app on my phone not very accurate) as I can definitely hear that the turntable is running slow. I shall start with some gentle lubrication...
Old 2nd Sep 2018, 4:35 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This will actually be a Sonotone V100 cartridge. Don't put any oil near the belt or pulleys. Maybe only on the centre bearing. I still think your deck is performing within its design limits.
Old 2nd Sep 2018, 7:06 pm   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

If it's still slow once you've lubricated it (and I suspect that it will be, as Edward implies), you could try a bit of heatshrink sleeving over each of the motor pulley steps.
Old 2nd Sep 2018, 7:36 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

Is the new belt too tight? That will slow it down a bit.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 2nd Sep 2018, 10:49 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

I don't recall turntables running slow when in current usage. Perhaps the proliferation of mobile phone "aids" is creating doubt here. Do you have a stroboscope?
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 12:50 pm   #8
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
This will actually be a Sonotone V100 cartridge. Don't put any oil near the belt or pulleys. Maybe only on the centre bearing. I still think your deck is performing within its design limits.
I disagree. Whatever you think of the old Garrards they generally run at exactly the speed they are supposed to.

The caveats are of course that the drive surfaces are clean, the motor is in good order and the belt is the right size. Sort all these out and it should run at the right speed without any issues.
Closed Thread