UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2010, 6:25 pm   #81
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Favourite Colour tv's

No one has mentioned tandberg, i was given a whopping great 26" set in a dark wood cabinet on legs, with sliding tambour door back in the late '70s, When i got it, there was no sound, but i soon sorted that! no idea of the model No, but i remember setting up the convergence via a flip down 'speaker grille' i had it for 3 or 4 years, then passed it on to a friend, who had it for a good few years after that, with no problems, never seen one since.....

Mark
Old 12th Oct 2010, 12:46 pm   #82
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Smile Re: Favourite Colour tv's

For me the G11 holds a place in my heart.
Must have fixed hunderds of those as a saturday boy in Luton !
Closely followed by the KT3 for the same reason, and both easy to work on.
Also loved the CVC 5's & 9's - Excellent pictures on those beasties and nice to work on.
Another favourite of mine was the Doric Mk 3's & 4's. When I was a 'Propper' telly apprentice in the early 90's, there were loads of these sets around still.
The remote control would pyisically turn the switch off, and sometimes depending how old it was, the button would end up flying accross the room
Another fave of mine (and I feel slightly ashamed for admitting to this) was the Fidelity ZX3000. Very predictable. In fact if Mark (ILikeValvesMe) is on here he'll tell you about the one I did up for his daughter. Must have taken all of 20 minutes
The GEC duel standard set I did a few years ago (2028) gave really good pictures, but possibly my least favourite to work on. (That pesky double sided print ! ! !)
What an excellent thread

Regards

Dr Dave
Old 12th Oct 2010, 1:45 pm   #83
radiotircoed
Pentode

G6 for me every time!

Quote:
Post 34 of 2004!

5) Is there any technical reason why a set *HAS* to be in matt silver
2010 Is there any technical reason why a set *HAS* to be in gloss black?
Old 13th Oct 2010, 10:17 am   #84
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Watts View Post

The remote control would pyisically turn the switch off, and sometimes depending how old it was, the button would end up flying accross the room
The aformentioned GECs had the same system which over the years I found could be made to change channel by low energy lamps and completely switched of by .... sunshine!

Peter
Old 13th Oct 2010, 3:24 pm   #85
pichacker
Hexode

Or the early Philips sets with a clanger remote that could be made to chage channe by jingling a bunch of keys.

My fav one for picture is the G11, once you had done the beam limiter mod. (The one that involved moving the diode in the can to control the contrast rather than brightness.)

Fondest memory for 405 was the Stella/Philips set that always seemed to turn up at proper jumble sales. Can't remember the model but it had a single metal chassis that supported the tube with the EHT section in a metal can to the left as you looked from the rear. The tuner was a turret type with the volume control just below it concentric to the brightness. the tuner would unplug and could be removed whole by twisting a clip. As a lad I used to dangle a lump of wire out of the rear and tune to "Southern" on position 10 and watch "No Honestly" or was it "Yes honestly" late on a Sunday evening when I was supposed to be asleep!!
Old 18th Oct 2010, 5:23 pm   #86
Focus Diode
Octode

A very tough thread to reply to as reliability has to be taken into consideration!

Certainly the original dual standard G6 is capable of superb results. I restored my own in the '90s from scrap to first class working order. The pictures were absolutely superb. The sound however was poor on UHF, plenty of bass but no treble with constant hum in the background I could never rectify. VHF 405 was very good however.

The problem was I was afraid to use it often incase the LOPT packed in!

The GEC 2028 is less fearsome and are capable of giving pictures as good as a G6, if one ignores the inferior EHT regulation, (1st hybrid set to employ a fully solid state EHT facility). If quality and reliability were considered this would be at the top of my fave CTV.

The ITT CVC5s are wonderful sets. Just a shame the tuners are so awful.

There's been comments that later CRTs were not as good as the older delta gun models. While I agree with this in many cases I was surprised at the excellent picture quality obtained on a 1998 Goodmans 285 NS (Daewoo) 28" model with a Philips CRT, its as if they succeeded in manufacturing the ultimate in-line tube that gives results as good as a decent delta gun one.

I have one of these sets with its original Philips tube which is still good as new.

Brian
Old 18th Oct 2010, 5:36 pm   #87
Maarten
Dekatron

Your goodmans probably has an A66EAK... tube in it. Those are certainly capable of giving decent pictures, but the ...ESF... tubes offer even better performance during their short lifespan (most of them develop shorts of some sort sooner or later).
Old 18th Oct 2010, 5:46 pm   #88
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Probably the best Philips CRT IMHO was the 29" 4:3 version which used the ESF gun assembly and suffered the same fate. The flagship MD2.1 used it (the one with the glossy wooden cabinet) and was noticeable better than the already good 28" EAK. JVC and Toshiba used the same CRT and I've replaced several of these over the years as they were so good customers were prepared to spend a fortune on new CRTs!
Glyn
Old 22nd Oct 2010, 9:39 pm   #89
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Just read through this thread again. Here are a couple of sets that I overlooked.
I'll start with the much maligned Philips G9 which was used in the Roberts TV's in the mid to late 1970's. Capable of giving good pictures with its 110 degree delta gun tube, and also good sound on the Roberts models. Yes that cap on the 45v line did give problems but overall I think it was n't all that bad.
I loved the Decca 100 chassis, it gave probably the best pictures of sets that used the 20ax tubes. So good pictures, good sound, reliable and a joy to work on make this one of my favourites. These were also very popular with our customers.
Old 22nd Oct 2010, 10:17 pm   #90
hans
Heptode

I might have mentioned tis before in other threads: Philips K9/11 were quality sets and easy to repair and my favorites. Tandberg ctv 2/3 and Luxor B1 were good sets too, and I even liked the 70's Grundigs (5000 and 6000? series)
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 8:30 am   #91
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The GEC 2028 mentioned by Brian holds a special place in my affections as it was my introduction to colour TV. Small quantities of them started to appear on the ex rental market in the early '70s, you had to arrive early at the depot's before the lorry came in to get a chance of buying one or two. My first purchase terrified me, you had to lay out quite a lot of money for one then, what if the CRT is u/s? what if I can't repair it? My first decoder fault was very worrying and took me several days to solve, it was all new technology to me then - we got to know our way round them though and the secondhand TV trade was very lucrative in those days.

Peter
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 4:17 pm   #92
P.Pilcher
Pentode

Well, unlike just about everybody else, the colour telly which I hold close to my heart is the old Pye CT 72 and its successor with the flat panel line timebase/power supply section. It was the only telly that I really got familiar with and as so many friends and acquaintances had them I learned a lot about servicing the circuit.
My family acquired one, new in 1970 and it formed the borderline between the old monocrome chassis we had owned which lasted for about 5 years and the partially transistorised units wich had a life of about 10.
Having moved out of the family home, I needed my own telly and, in those days you could by a working one for £50 or an "untested" one for £25. These were all ex-rental sets and it was often quite easy to breathe new life into them.
I never had trouble with the CDA panels charring up, but have the impression that the circuit board material of the early sets was of much higher quality thus were resistant to the heat generated by their four valves.
One ex-rental set I acquired I will never forget. It was sitting in the warehouse minding it's own business when I spotted it because it's cabinet was in superb condition and highly polished. I thus removed the back and the components were dustless and absolutely pristine. It had hardly ever been switched on but was probably about 10 years old. £25 changed hands rapidly and the set acompanied me home. On getting it into the workshop, I removed the back to examine my purchase more thoroughly and spotted a broken connection on one of the power thermistors. I repaired this with a blob of solder and switched on. Perfect picture! As my parent's telly had recently packed up and had had a hard 10 years life, I gave this one to them and it served them well for the rest of their lives.
I often used to think of this set occupying pride of place in someone's living room and being proudly shown off to friends and neighbours: "We've got a colour telly." But of course, it was rarely if ever switched on despite the rent being paid every week. Eventually, I suppose they decided to have a go and nothing happened. The repair man was thus summoned, noted that it was by then a very ancient one and persuaded his customers to rent a more modern model. ("With this one - look - you can have a remote control... e.t.c.") Thus the rental company disposed of a hardly used, very easily repaired unit from which I was the beneficiary!

P.P.
Old 25th Oct 2010, 1:49 pm   #93
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Reading PP's post I remember just missing a set at the warehouse in Crewe I used to visit in the Nineties. Apparently a big posh cabinet had arrived the previous week which turned out to be a G6 G25K501 version - then over 25 years old. One engineer was intrigued and turned it on. After a very long time the colour relay clicked and a good picture appeared. The set probably hadn't been used since the Seventies - if at all - and had stayed at the back of a warehouse.
I grabbed my wallet only to be told the boss had told them to get that big ugly thing out of the way and it was dumped outside a couple of days before my visit. Mysteriously that night it had vanished - hopefully to a new life, but more likely to the 'cocktail cabinet' converters.
I still wish my visit had been a few days earlier!
Glyn
Old 25th Oct 2010, 3:36 pm   #94
dominicbeesley
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Hi Chip Chop,
This was the bench monitor I used for VCR repairs from 1990 to the present time. The set was made in 1982. I'd say it is one of my favourite CTVs. It needs a good clean, just look at that dust.

DFWB.
Aha, have you the model number of that telly, I've been looking for a similar one - we had one when I was a kid, the first telly we bought instead of rented.

Cheers

Dom
Old 25th Oct 2010, 10:07 pm   #95
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

I have a soft spot for the old Thorn chassis', starting with the 3000 and going up to the 9000, we had loads of them out on rental and consequently I learned a lot about the 3000 switch mode PSU and could fault find them quite easily.

Most people hated this strange PSU which 'would never catch on', now everything has an SMPSU.

I still have the marks to show this experience.. a couple of Vampire holes in me arm from one of the coils on the 3500 convergence board, I was reaching round the back whilst looking at the picture..

A thin jagged line down the back of one hand from the rapid extraction of said hand from the depths of an 8800 whilst standing over the set looking at the pic.. and stuck me knee on the tube base focus voltage.. oh happy days!

I'm gonna be a name dropper now... 3000, 3500, 4000 (yuk) 8000, 8500, 8800, 9000, 9600. (pictures anyone?)
Old 25th Oct 2010, 11:12 pm   #96
Steve_P
Dekatron

What about the 2000?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 25th Oct 2010, 11:32 pm   #97
pichacker
Hexode

C631 or R907

Would love to see inside pics of GEC2040. At the age of 14 this was my first ever CTV. Only caught fire on me once.

I remember the sound on a K70 I repearing. I think the Ski advert came on and I was astounded at the quality.
Old 26th Oct 2010, 9:49 am   #98
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The 2040 was my second range of sets when the 2028's had run out, I sold and rented quite a number of those, somewhat easier to service being single standard.

Peter
Old 9th Nov 2010, 10:49 pm   #99
triumph
Retired Dormant Member

My first set was a Philips G6. I bought it out of the local evening paper for £34 in 1975. It had a LOPT fault and decoder fault.

I bought the transformer from the then local Philips depot and a scrap decoder from an advert' in "Television". After a few tweaks removing the system switching etc I thought the picture was brilliant. I kept the set for a few years and then parted with it. Big mistake!

Of all the sets I have had over the years I do miss the old G6. Later on I became a Field Bench Engineer for Rediffusion and have seen a wide variety of sets; Mk1 which was quite reliable and loosely based on the Decca Bradford in the EHT dept. Then came the Mk3 with the Pil tube and thyristor output stage.

The tubes on the 22 and 26 inch sets didn't seem to last long but the 20 inch one goes on forever. Then came the Mk4, I remember going to Central Training School on a course for the Mk4 and the instructor showed us a fairly large piece of paper with the circuit diagram of power supply and EHT etc on one side and on the other the whole side was taken over to the frequency synthesis and tuning section. Today that would be in one chip!

The set had switch mode power supply and boasted 65W power consumption. I bought one of these sets in 1982 and used it for a long time before finally giving it to my mum. I fitted a regunned CRT and she had it for a few years until she passed away. It was then given to my aunt, she then bought a larger TV due to failing eyesight and the set finished up at a friend's house until about 18 months ago where I think it met its maker.

But of all the sets I've seen and serviced, the old G6 still has to be my favourite and I would love to be able to get hold of another.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 9th Nov 2010 at 11:32 pm. Reason: Made readable, please make some sort of effort with your typing.
Old 13th Aug 2014, 9:28 pm   #100
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichacker View Post
...Would love to see inside pics of GEC2040. At the age of 14 this was my first ever CTV. Only caught fire on me once....
Your wish is my command! If you check this old thread here detailing the resurrection of my one, you'll find lots of pictures.

(Nice to browse some old threads from time to time )
Closed Thread