UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2008, 12:43 pm   #1
deco-doctor
Tetrode

Default Wartime Utility Radio

Split from this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=198341

Graham. Station X. Forum Moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avro626 View Post
A while ago I bought an old Wartime Utility Radio in need of restoration from one of our Forum members (he'll know who he is). Well I have now completed the 'Cosmetic' restoration and thought I would show you it. The cabinet was sanded down,restored and revarnished and the speaker cloth replaced. The internals still need more restoration work but so far so good! Cheers Dave.
Hi Dave

Nice job! how are you getting on with the internals?

I am wondering if you or anyone else can help me out with one of these sets?

I am in need of a circuit diagram so I (or a willing volunteer )can repair the one my father has.

My fathers set has just packed up, I replaced all the valves for him last year and it has been working fine, but he turned it on this week to listen to the cricket on LW and sadly there is no output.

The radio has much sentimental value to him, as after the war he worked at the McMichael radio factory making the chassis for these very sets. One of his jobs was job was to put in the eyelets into the chassis with a fly press.

I really need to get it going again for him.

Many thanks

Martin
Old 31st Aug 2008, 12:46 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Wartime Utility Radio

The service data is available by clicking the link at the top right of this page.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 31st Aug 2008, 12:51 pm   #3
deco-doctor
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
The service data is available by clicking the link at the top right of this page.
Hi Graham

Is this available as an individual download? If so how do I find it?

Thanks

Martin
Old 31st Aug 2008, 1:04 pm   #4
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

If you click on the link and type 'wartime' into the search box you'll see that there are three sets available - battery, AC and a supplementary sheet for LW.

You can then buy each of these individually for £1.99 if you wish.
Old 31st Aug 2008, 4:18 pm   #5
PJL
Dekatron

Before you go further I would recommend you check the mains transformer primary and secondaries continuity and output transformer primary continuity.
Old 31st Aug 2008, 4:52 pm   #6
deco-doctor
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Before you go further I would recommend you check the mains transformer primary and secondaries continuity and output transformer primary continuity.
Thanks, I have not even looked at it yet, so I don't know whats occurred. I will check the transformer windings first as you suggest.

I downloaded the service sheet which is very good.
Old 31st Aug 2008, 4:53 pm   #7
Steve_P
Dekatron

First, unplug and put an Ohmeter (Mulitmeter on ohms range) across the plug terminals. With it switched off there should be nothing. If when it's switched ON there's nothing, then check the plug fuse, cable and On-Off switch.

The secondary goes to the rectifier valve. Check the reading across both the anodes. Also, the valves are wired in parallel, so whip out V1, V2, V3 and V4. The rectifier, V4 is on a separate heater chain, so check continuity between the heater pins of all valves as you put them in. V1 to V3 go to deck, V4 does not.

If you don't get a reading, check wiring to the mains transformer and the secondary itself.

Put the valves back in and switch on. They should light up. Allow time to warm up and listen to see if you can hear anything. If you don't hear anything, check from the cathode of the rectifier valve through R14 and R15.

Check the AFC is OK too - a very insensitive radio if you don't. And you have changed C14 haven't you?

If you hear hissing but no stations, check the Aerial is OK and the install of the LW part. Might also be an idea to check the oscillator circuit and R4.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 31st Aug 2008, 5:58 pm   #8
deco-doctor
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post

Check the AFC is OK too - a very insensitive radio if you don't. And you have changed C14 haven't you?
Hi Steve. I have not checked anything yet. The set is at my dads house. I put a new set of valves in about a year ago and everything was fine then.

C14 looks like it is the coupling cap to the grid of EL33 output valve, yes if thats leaky there will be positive grid voltage on the EL33 which would not be good! I guess the original could be a high voltage PIO judging by the size of it in the picture in the service sheet. I have some nice Russian PIO caps here I can replace it with.

Thanks for the advice on what to check first.

Regards

Martin G4IYA
Old 31st Aug 2008, 9:44 pm   #9
Studio263
Octode

AFC? On a set in this class? I think you mean AGC. The bias from this came from a "westector" diode which if it still there has probably gone very high resistance by now. A suitably rated germanium diode makes a good replacement.
Old 31st Aug 2008, 10:58 pm   #10
Station X

Or even AVC.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Nov 2008, 12:23 am   #11
McMichael
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deco-doctor View Post

I am wondering if you or anyone else can help me out with one of these sets?

My father's set has just packed up, I replaced all the valves for him last year and it has been working fine, but he turned it on this week to listen to the cricket on LW and sadly there is no output.

The radio has much sentimental value to him, as after the war he worked at the McMichael radio factory making the chassis for these very sets. One of his jobs was job was to put in the eyelets into the chassis with a fly press.
Hi Martin,

Was your father's set made by McMichael? If so, it should have U20 stamped on the chassis label. You say that your father made the chassis for these radios after the war - I thought that they were made in 1944, but perhaps they carried on producing them until they brought out the Model 451 in February 1946. How long did he work there (and did you manage to fix the set)?

73, David
Closed Thread