UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Nov 2008, 1:57 pm   #1
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ekco U199 question

Hi guys, currently on with repairing one of these sets (trader 1129).
it has a tuning fault on both MW and LW, as you get about half way up the dial, the speaker becomes crackly with no reception on both frequencies.
LW rception is very weak
I hae changed some caps and retested the set but the same fault is there, I have even teted the valves and put in replacements, still the same!
Also the preset tuning slugs on the back of the set, on LW have no effect, the MW one will tune but only up to about half way again, very annoying!

could it be a shor in the tuning cap, or am i missing something obvious?

thanks in advance Mark
Old 6th Nov 2008, 2:00 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ekco U199 question

It certainly sounds as if you have a tuning cap short, which should be easy enough to confirm. You may be able to adjust the screw at the back, or carefully bend the vanes.

There may be more than one fault, but fix the tuning cap first.

Paul
Old 6th Nov 2008, 2:06 pm   #3
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

thanks for the speedy response Paul. I will try the tuning cap first

regards Mark
Old 6th Nov 2008, 5:04 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

Dead easy way to find out. Connect your Ohmmeter across the tuning cap and earth (two caps so do each one separately) and move the tuning cap about. If it goes to a short circuit, it's faulty.

If it goes off with a crackle, then it is most likely faulty.

Take it out, examine it, clean it thourougly, move the vanes about and try it then. Sometimes they do create tin whiskers actually. I bang them in the dishwasher and try again. Wise to re-grease the bearings though.

Cheers,

Steve P.