UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2017, 9:58 pm   #1
geharvey
Retired Dormant Member

Default Panasonic SL-H304 Turn Table Broken Cog

Hello,

I have purchased a Panasonic SL-H304 Turn Table from Ebay. I have replaced the needle and the drive belt. All was working fine until I noticed that the stop button did not work and the arm did not return at the end of the record.

After some investigation, I discovered that there is a nylon cog at the bottom of the spindle for the record, which provideds the drive for the auto return mechanism. The cog has come of the splined section of the spindle, because it has split. I assume that there is no replacement available after 30 years.

Does anyone know if it is possible to glue it back on with an epoxy glue or is my record player now manual only.

Many thanks,

Graham.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 11:52 am   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic SL-H304 Turn Table Broken Cog

You have nothing to lose by trying to repair the cog. I would get some Araldite (not the 10 minute stuff) into the crack, making sure there was no adhesive leaking into the central hole, tape it tightly, and leave for 24 hrs. The cog should then just slide onto the splined section.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 1:08 pm   #3
geharvey
Retired Dormant Member

Hello, thank you for the reply, I shall certainly give it a try. I have nothing to loose afterall.

I will post again with the result.

Best regards,

Graham.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 2:15 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Make sure you degrease very thoroughly first with IPA first.

There may possibly be better adhesives than Araldite for this Nylon-like material.

N.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 11:10 pm   #5
Goldieoldie
Octode

Hi
I have had some success using loctite 707 primer and then loctite 406
If there is no gap
If there is a gap ,jb plastic weld works as well as any other 2 part glue I've used
Cheers Pete
Old 15th Dec 2017, 12:32 am   #6
Michael Maurice

You need to look for the reason it split in the first place, which is because the nylon cog was a push on interference fit to the main bearing. If you glue it up, when you push the cog back on the bearing you'll probably find it will split again.

The best was to deal with this is to use a round file to slightly enlarge the hole in the cog so that when you refit it to the bearing it doesn't split, then glue both the cog and the cog to bearing.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 15th Dec 2017, 12:46 pm   #7
nigelr2000
Heptode

I have scrapped a JVC deck last week might be the same cog/spindle as lots of this era of deck have the same parts inside. Let me know and I can send it to you. I have tried to glue them in the past and it has never lasted very long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3399.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	154019   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3400.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	154020  
Old 15th Dec 2017, 12:56 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
You need to look for the reason it split in the first place, which is because the nylon cog was a push on interference fit to the main bearing. If you glue it up, when you push the cog back on the bearing you'll probably find it will split again.

The best was to deal with this is to use a round file to slightly enlarge the hole in the cog so that when you refit it to the bearing it doesn't split, then glue both the cog and the cog to bearing.
Michael is right. Panasonic had the same problem with loading motor couplers on their more recent video recorders too.
Closed Thread