UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2018, 8:42 pm   #1
davidw
Heptode

Default RadCom

Hands up..who noticed the glaring error on the front cover of RadCom this month?
Old 18th Jan 2018, 9:55 pm   #2
Stockden
Heptode

Default Re: RadCom

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't until you drew my attention to it

Hugh
Old 19th Jan 2018, 8:51 am   #3
davidw
Heptode

Funnily enough Hugh I didn't spot it at first but MrsW is an ace speller!
Old 19th Jan 2018, 10:00 am   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

Blimey, I'd completely missed that! My office at two o'clock, Jones!
Old 19th Jan 2018, 10:25 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

Not quite in the Guardian's league. They managed to mis-spell their own name

There's a nice wry bit in the editorial reply to one of the letters about how the RSGB is 'historically careful' about verifying payments before they are made. I think that translates as careful-because-of-history.

David
Old 19th Jan 2018, 11:58 am   #6
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

There is also an interesting letter about whether winding coax around an aluminium pole constitutes a current-mode choke balun. Apparently the writer had questioned an article author and the two have been in discussion. Having failed to reach agreement they are now throwing open the discussion to the rest of us.

I agree with the letter writer: the pole will act a shorted turn and destroy the inductance of the CM choke. However, the proximity of the pole may steal some of the common-mode current via stray capacitance so it could give the false impression of working as a balun.

Incidentally I too have had experience of attempting to correct an article author (RadCom and PW) and finding that he will not budge from his false or misleading idea, which he has been paid to propagate.
Old 19th Jan 2018, 12:56 pm   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

This will only get worse, Chinglish etc. propagates spelling errors.
There are some belters here in the 'pines.
Matched Potatoes
Cocked pork in satay sauce.
President Duterte speaks Taglish (Tagalog/English) on TV. I can usually understand him. Todays was 'Picknick tables', at least this one pops the spelling checker.
Old 19th Jan 2018, 1:26 pm   #8
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8HQP Dave View Post
Incidentally I too have had experience of attempting to correct an article author (RadCom and PW) and finding that he will not budge from his false or misleading idea, which he has been paid to propagate.
It's not just magazines. I had a voltcraft power supply a few years ago, a little 13.8V comms jobby. Something blew up in it, which was my fault so I took it to bits to repair. No schematic so I reverse engineered it.

Repaired the supply but while reverse engineering I found a capacitor which was installed that had both leads connected together on the PCB to the ground plane at different points. It didn't do anything at all. Checked it with a continuity tester just to make sure, straight up short. Thousands of those supplies must have been made with a pointless capacitor installed. This was the only part on the BOM of that type so they were buying that line in especially for that supply.

Contacted them and explained it and got an email back saying that it was unlikely to be the case and some blurb that their designs are tested and this wasn't a possibility and that they basically don't make mistakes ... their funeral!

Back on subject, is Radcom and RSGB membership worth it? I already get second hand Radcoms about a week late thrown at me (not got the latest one yet).
Old 19th Jan 2018, 3:28 pm   #9
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Touchy subject so I will be careful not to upset the Mods. The RSGB is not perfect but I have been a member for nearly 50 years. On balance I think they do a reasonable job. They are negotiating for all UK radio amateurs whether they are a member or not. In addition to RadCom there is a more techie online magazine which comes out from time to time.
Old 19th Jan 2018, 4:30 pm   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

Ok the more technical stuff sounds interesting. This isn’t a judgement on RSGB, merely a “if I’m getting Radcom free, should I bother?” So far I’ve ordered a couple of books and spoken to them on the phone and done the foundation exam and have no complaints.
Old 20th Jan 2018, 5:37 pm   #11
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I resigned a few years ago from tbe RSGB, I am no longer active though still have a licence, G4, but my interests are now in other areas.
That being said, I was a member for around 25 years and if still active I would still be a member. They put in a lot of effort for the hobby, publications usually excellent, they used to give discounts on books not generally available outside the hobby, perhaps they still do.

Not perfect but who or which organisation is.
Old 20th Jan 2018, 5:57 pm   #12
chriswood1900
Octode

Yes spotted it, clearly the graphics/titles for the cover are not spell checked!
Old 21st Jan 2018, 10:02 am   #13
raditechman
Heptode

I took the unopened RadCom to my local radio clubs lunch last Wednesday, as I sat down at the table I held up the magazine, still in its clear plastic envelope, and said "this just came through the post" straight away a person sitting opposite said, "did you spot the spelling mistake?" which I had not, although I soon spotted it on a second look.
I wonder if it will be mentioned in next month RadCom.

John
Old 21st Jan 2018, 10:12 am   #14
Radio Wrangler

Any predictions for what the excuse will be?

Anyway, it's embarrassing, but not the end of the world, and we all make mistakes. It's not worth having a covfefe about.

David
Old 21st Jan 2018, 10:46 am   #15
MrBungle
Dekatron

I’ve seen it at last.

At least it wasn’t like PW where half the stuff in it didn’t work anyway.
Old 21st Jan 2018, 4:15 pm   #16

And to relive the suspense, receiver was spelt reciever. Not wrong, the UK dictionary is a report not instructions after all. All one can say is that it deviated from the accepted spelling, not incorrectly spelt.

(Ducks and hopes for no mistakes!)

Old 21st Jan 2018, 4:30 pm   #17
AC/HL
Dekatron

One of those quirks of the language, perfectly readable as you say, but not form! Spelling is rapidly becoming optional sadly.
Old 21st Jan 2018, 9:02 pm   #18
russell_w_b
Dekatron

There were profuse apologies on the 'RadCom' Facebook page.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 3:28 pm   #19
davidw
Heptode

With hindsight perhaps "glaring error" was a bit ott but, given its a UK publication,edited and printed here, then I think "i before e except after c" should apply.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 3:31 pm   #20
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

They actually apologised the day after the mag went out in the post on their FB feed.
It does seem to happen pretty regularly though

Tim M0AFJ
Closed Thread