UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2017, 8:50 pm   #1
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Default Record Player Queries

Hi. Iv'e seen a Bush Midi Hi Fi 9560 for sale, and also a record player very much like a Dansette but called a Falcon.This is fitted with BSR Monarch turntable and a medium[ Brown Crystal Cartridge]. Can any body give any info. on these two machines.
Hoddbod.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 10:01 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Record Player Queries

Forget about the Bush - cheap and nasty and full of issues by now. The Falcon is OK probably from about 1958, but it is bound to need work doing to it and that brown (TC8M) cartridge can't be used for stereo records.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 11:48 am   #3
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush Query

Hi. Iv'e seen a bush Midi[Mini] Hi fi for sale. It is a double cassette radio and record player. Can anyone give any info. on this machine.Is it any good?
Regards.
Hoddbod.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 12:25 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush Query

Could you post a pic of the unit (or a link to a photo of a similar unit)?

Chances are though that this is a budget unit made long after Bush was a quality British manufacturer. Even if I were in the market for a cheap record player, I would be very reluctant to pay more than about £10-£20 tops for it.

However, it may still perform better than the current crop of "retro" GPO/Crossley gadgets.

Nick.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 2:04 pm   #5
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
However, it may still perform better than the current crop of "retro" GPO/Crossley gadgets.
Agreed - the current batch of Crosley turntables have over 5 grams of tracking force due to their use of inexpensive ceramic cartridges with a limited lifespan.

After only a few plays they may produce audible groove wear!

They should come with a health warning for your LPs, see here: -

https://musehelix.com/crosley-cruiser-review/
Old 13th Dec 2017, 9:08 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

As advised earlier, stay well clear of the Bush. You also say you are also interested in a much older Halycon record player. These 2 units are so far apart in terms of technology and features they give us a very poor understanding of what you are actually looking for!
Old 13th Dec 2017, 9:18 pm   #7
Records
Hexode

I dont believe that for a second! 5 grams? The guy is obviously talking out his rear end.

I have two of these players and they have not damaged any records I've played on them, in my opinion there probably isn't enough tracking force as the arm weighs next to nothing.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 9:31 pm   #8
Kentode
Octode

I wouldn't trust a review site that uses an image like THIS!

These are poor starter record players, lot's of disappointment for young people paying £20 a pop for their new vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-12-13-20-22-11~2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	153952  

BVWS member
Old 13th Dec 2017, 9:38 pm   #9
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Records View Post
i dont believe that for a second 5 grams, guy is obviously talking out his rear end.
I have 2 of these players and they have not damaged any records ive played on them, in my opinion there probably isnt enough tracking force as the arm weighs next to nothing
You don't have to believe me, use your Stylus Force Tracking Gauge for some empirical evidence.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 11:00 am   #10
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Records View Post
I dont believe that for a second! 5 grams? The guy is obviously talking out his rear end.
Forgot to ask, to whom are you referring??
Old 14th Dec 2017, 12:42 pm   #11
John10b
Nonode

Regarding Records - post 7 comments about tracking weight. Take a look at one of the stickies - cartridge data - it is surprising, to me, the range of tracking weight on some of the older cartridges.

I have no knowledge of the one under discussion but using a pressure gauge will obviously settle any misunderstanding.

Cheers, John.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 12:52 pm   #12
llama
Octode

Neat makeshift homemade stylus pressure gauge here:

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=89.60

Graham
Old 14th Dec 2017, 12:52 pm   #13
IanNVJ35
Heptode

I find the 80's Technics like QD33, DD33 to be reliable and good value. For around £60 you can get a direct drive deck, quartz locked, automatic operation, proper tonearm bearings, nice looking etc. I had budgeted £300 for a new player but instead spent £70 on an QD33 and £200 on a Jico SAS stylus for the original cartridge. Sounds lovely.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 1:34 pm   #14
DonaldStott
Octode

Good choice of Technics deck - the QD33 has a tracking weight of 1.25g.

I recently fully refurbished a Technics SL-QL1 direct drive turntable and also added a Jico SAS stylus, fantastic performance.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 3:06 pm   #15
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Hi. Well i bought the Bush and it works just fine. The records play OK and the two cassette players work well, as does the radio. Iv'e just recorded a album onto cassette and i'm listening to the replay at this moment and it sounds good. The speakers are two way and they sound pretty good, far better than the tiny speakers on a Crossly. I don't know the tracking weight on this player.
But i will be making cassette copies of my albums. And then play them on this unit.I got this unit from the British Heart Foundation for £25 and that was worth it for the cassette players alone, By the way they had a label that said it was in fully working condition, And i kept the receipt because they said if it was not i could return it.
All the best.
Hoddbod.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 3:38 pm   #16
AC/HL
Dekatron

Result. You're happy with it, and that's the whole point of listening to music. You may wish to upgrade later, but for now, enjoy.
Closed Thread