UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2017, 5:45 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Sony SS-LB355 Speakers-built down to a price?

For some years now I've had a pair of the above speakers in my workshop, where they are use when testing repaired amplifiers/receivers, etc. Having decided to dispose of them, out of curiosity I opened one up. They sem a bit basic, consisting of a 6.75" (17cm) diameter woofer, part no.1-502-224-11, and a 2.5" (6.35cm) diameter cone midrange, part no.1-505-330-017, plus a 1"(2.54cm)diameter passive 'tweeter'. The only 'crossover' is a3u3, 100v bipolar electrolytic, and there is no acoustic wadding inside the cabinets. The makers label on the rear of the MDF cabinet states that they are rated @ 110watts (Obviously 'music power', equivalent to about 40watts RMS. As per thread title, were they built down to a price, possibly to partner a music centre or similar item? I may offer them in the 'Sets, Parts, etc. offered', section
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1380 (2).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	152112   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1382.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	152113   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1383 (2).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	152114  
Old 13th Nov 2017, 11:58 am   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony SS-LB355 Speakers-built down to a price?

I'm surprised there's three drivers in there, there's usually only two in system hifi speakers of that genre. They wouldn't have been sold as a 'hifi' separate speakers - I doubt it anyway.

I myself have several pairs of such cheap speakers, I buy them for next to nothing at charity shops. I keep buying them because I occasionally blow one up when - like you - I'm working on hifi receivers. The ones I have are really plastic and often quite small but they do the job surprisingly well as a workshop test speaker. With judicious use of the bass, middle and treble controls (plus sub sonic filter, turnover frequency selectors etc) the sound, at lower volumes is quite acceptable. And that's one of the reasons why I'm a big fan of tone controls; they can be used to good effect if used intelligently, to aim for a flat response.
Old 13th Nov 2017, 12:34 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

As I noted, Steve, the 1" diameter cone is only a passive unit. Whilst I have blown up speakers in the past, these work as well as they ever did, certainly adequate for soak testin radios, etc., but just take up too much room on my work surfaces, so I've put them in the 'Sets & Parts' offered section.
Old 13th Nov 2017, 12:40 pm   #4
paulsherwin

As you say, they are pretty typical music centre / unit audio speakers. It's normal for speakers of this class not to have proper crossovers, just a cap feeding the tweeter.
Closed Thread