UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2016, 10:56 pm   #1
T.S1997
Retired Dormant Member

Default MK. XV A.P 13231 British Admiralty Sound phone (Help needed please)

Hello everyone. My name is Tim, and I'm new here. I signed up because I need help with a pair of the above phone, made by the Tele.mfg.Co in London. From the research I have done, they were used in the second World War by the British navy for communicating between cabins or even from the bridge to the engine room etc. Now, my problem is that I have them both wired up together, and although they ring each other fine, if I try and talk through the one it doesn't come through on the other handset (and vice versa).

My question is, does anyone on here have any kind of wiring diagram for this type of phone? Or would someone possibly be able to look at one of their phones and tell me where all the wires are going to?

Many thanks, and thanks for having me on board here,

Tim

(Note to admin: If I have posted this in the wrong place, then please feel free to move it to the correct board or delete if necessary. Thank you)
Old 29th Sep 2016, 1:16 pm   #2
BigClick
Hexode

Default Re: MK. XV A.P 13231 British Admiralty Sound phone (Help needed please)

Hi, have you tried here.... http://www.britishtelephones.com/adm...admiralty1.htm
Old 29th Sep 2016, 2:57 pm   #3
T.S1997
Retired Dormant Member

Hi there, that was the first website I found with anything to do with my type of phone. But, all there is on there is information on what the phone was used for and who used it.

Tim
Old 29th Sep 2016, 5:25 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have a similar telephone (just one) here.

The handset contains 2 transducers,wired in parallel I think. There are 2 wires in the handset cable. You just link the 2 handsets (one on each telephone) electrically in parallel, speaking into one of them will cause the mouthpiece transducer there to produce enough voltage to be heard in the earpiece transducers (hence the name 'sound powered').

I believe the 2 telephones needed 3 wires to interconnect them, common, calling, and speech. The terminals are labelled 'C' for common, 'M' for calling and 'L' for speech. You just connect similar letters together in the 2 telephones.
Old 29th Sep 2016, 6:05 pm   #5
dagskarlsen
Heptode

I hope this scan may help you.
dsk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SP.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	130679   Click image for larger version

Name:	SP0001.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	130680  
Old 29th Sep 2016, 7:03 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I find it curious that the iron/steel case of the model 15 might affect the compass (hence the 15*) but that the magneto generator did not have enough stray field to do so.

Incidentally, as those diagrams imply, the magneto in these telephones is a relatively low voltage but higher freqeuncy (audio frequency) one. It directly operates a transducer in the case of the called telephone causing the signalling tone and is stepped up by a transformer to operate the neon bulb.
Old 29th Sep 2016, 8:39 pm   #7
dagskarlsen
Heptode

This is a totally other phone, but this diagram may also work.
(page 78 of 109)
http://radionerds.com/images/2/22/TM_11-5805-243-13.PDF

dsk
Old 30th Sep 2016, 2:40 am   #8
T.S1997
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I believe the 2 telephones needed 3 wires to interconnect them, common, calling, and speech. The terminals are labelled 'C' for common, 'M' for calling and 'L' for speech. You just connect similar letters together in the 2 telephones.
Right, okay, I see where you're getting at there. I have seen those three letters attached to various terminals inside the phone. I'm assuming there's more than one set of terminals so that more than two phones can be wired together? And for testing purposes at the moment I have a length of twin core cable that came off of a lawnmower (I think). I will find some twin core + earth and retest.

Tim
Old 30th Sep 2016, 6:58 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

You could try disconnecting the handset leads (there will be 2) inside each 'phone (make a diagram so you can put them back in the right places later) and then connecting the 2 handsets in parallel using the 2-core cable you have. This should allow you to talk between the handsets (obviously without ringing). If not then you have problem with the handset cable or the transducers in the handsets.
Old 15th Nov 2016, 11:10 pm   #10
T.S1997
Retired Dormant Member

I tried this, but to no avail
Old 16th Nov 2016, 7:02 am   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

You need to determine if the fault is electrical or mechanical, I think.

Disconnect each handset. Measure the resistance between its 2 wires. Do you get a non-infinite reading which is roughly the same in both cases?

Do the 2 wires of the interconnecting cable show infinite resistance between them (handsets disconnected)? Does that drop to a low reading if you short the wires at the 'far end' of the cable?

It is possible to dismantle the transducers used in these handsets if necessary, but you need small tools (you may have make a spanner by filing a bit of metal strip (!)) and a lot of care.
Closed Thread