UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2016, 8:16 pm   #1
ricksteptoe
Pentode

Default Extension socket problems

Could someone help please?
I have just wired two extension sockets, but have a curious situation which I cannot seem to solve.
The two are in parallel as a spur off the master socket, the second works fine, the first behaves as if the wires to terminals 2 and 5 are reversed. Connecting a 232 to the first gives dial tone but will not dial out, I can hear incoming speech but cannot be heard. Connecting a recent phone, I get no dial tone just broadband hash (which I don't get with the 232).
I have checked all the wiring is correct, no transposed colours, and don't know what to do next! Wire and sockets are brand new.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Rick.
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 8:29 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Extension socket problems

Just to confirm, you have a piece of cable from the master socket to extension socket 1. And another piece of cable from extension socket 1 to extension socket 2. All the colours match up.

Are the 2 extenson sockets of the same type and make? I wonder if the terminals are mis-numbered in socket 1.

I think at this point I would disconnect the wiring from the master socket and check for continuity between the terminals and the actual contacts in the socket at each extension.
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 8:50 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

The obvious test, if you think you have transposed pins 2 and 5 somewhere, would be to apply a multimeter set to 200 V DC across pins 2 and 5 of each socket.
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 8:55 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

Also, don't rule out a faulty socket. I was led a merry dance recently, although it was one of those cheap ones.
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 11:12 pm   #5
ricksteptoe
Pentode

Thanks for the replies, The sockets are identical, all purchased at the same time, the wiring runs from the master to socket 1, thence to socket 2, and all colours match, i.e. pin 2 to 2 to 2, 3 to 3 to 3, etc. I cannot see how the wires could be transposed, but will check as per your hint with the meter. I will also substitute another socket in case of fault, but as they are pcb it could only be a bad contact in the socket, and I don't understand how this could give the effects.

Will report further progress.

Rick
Old 4th Oct 2016, 7:43 am   #6
Station X

I assume these are EXTENSION sockets with no components on the PCB except for the socket itself? I have come across installations where more than one MASTER socket is fitted on the same line. There should only be one.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Oct 2016, 4:35 pm   #7
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Rick, you mention Broadband, do you have filters on all sockets?

If so, swop around and see if the problem moves.

I wondered the same as Graham if you had more than one Master socket fitted instead of only one plus two slaves.

Regards - Mike
Old 4th Oct 2016, 4:36 pm   #8
JohnBHanson
Heptode

If you can hear but not dial out, can you hear your own voice if you talk into the mouthpiece. It sounds like you have pins 2 and 3 crossed meaning the ring capacitor is in series with the line on the remote sockets.

Pins 2 and 5 should have a voltage across. Between Pin3 and Pin5 should be zero volts
Old 4th Oct 2016, 4:46 pm   #9
Station X

We need to be very careful here.

P denotes Plug. J denotes Jack.

P5 mates with J2
P4 mates with J3
P2 mates with J5

It's lead me a merry dance when testing from the end of the cord.

Old 4th Oct 2016, 6:36 pm   #10
ricksteptoe
Pentode

Hi all,
I have re-checked all the wiring back to the master socket, all are definitely wired the same, no transposition of wires, I have substituted a different brand of socket in position 1 which has screw terminals rather than the push fit type which behaves exactly the same as the other.
I have also installed another socket downstream of the "faulty" one, which works perfectly. I cannot figure how the first one doesn't work but the subsequent ones do, If I had crossed wires the should all not work.

Filters installed at all sockets today, and the p5-j2 problem doesn't arise as these are all hard-wired, trying yet another phone makes no difference.

Wired blue/white stripe from 2 on master socket to all other 2's
white/blue stripe from 5 on master socket to all other 5's
orange/white stripe from 3 on master socket to all other 3's
all as per instructions ontelephonesuk.co.uk site.

What have I done wrong?

Rick.
Old 4th Oct 2016, 6:42 pm   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

Get a meter on the case! That will tell you at once if you have any wires transposed.
Old 4th Oct 2016, 6:46 pm   #12
Station X

From what I remember these sockets use Insulation Displacement Connectors (IDC's) where the wires are pushed between two sharp blades.

Can you use a meter to check continuity between the IDC's and the "fingers" in the socket. Alternatively plug a line cord into the socket and test from the end of this, but remember the 2-5 cross over.

Old 4th Oct 2016, 7:03 pm   #13
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Logically, one of the things that could cause socket 1 and socket 2 to behave differently is a break in one of the wires between them.

I don't see how this could cause the symptoms you are getting, but what happens if you disconnect both wires from terminal 3 of socket 1 and make sure they don't touch anything else?
Old 4th Oct 2016, 7:27 pm   #14
ricksteptoe
Pentode

Will meter it all out, and if that fails will re-wire.
Who knows, it might make a difference?
Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I'm sure I shall have to seek help when it comes to wiring in my Stirling U353 phone

regards,

Rick.
Closed Thread