UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 17th Mar 2024, 5:10 pm   #1
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Default Motorola TM 316S Car 8 Track player

Afternoon all,
Calling on the collective wisdom of you all now. I have a problem with an 8 track player in for repair. The motor doesn't turn with voltage applied, it's a matsushita 13.2vdc motor with an extra winding (for fast forwarding the tape) This motor tests open circuit. I've stripped it down and found that there is a small inductor in series with the +12v line which has burned up. My question is Would anyone have an idea as to the value of said inductor (I imagine it it there for some RFI suppression) I'm pretty sure the reason it has failed is due to the motor being stalled for a reasonable amount of time due to a sticky belt.

Many thanks in advance

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240317_155649.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	294916  
AD360 Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 10:24 pm   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Motorola TM 316S Car 8 Track player

Could you count the number of windings as you unravel it and rewind it with similar wire?
Silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2024, 10:55 pm   #3
AD360 Rob
Hexode

I did think of that however for now I have bypassed it and once I get the flipping thing to revolve the right way (It's running backwards for some reason), I'll asess the amount of RF noise present and take it from there. I did think of trying to measure the inductance of what's left of the winding but I don't have an LCR meter only a chinese transistor tester that does capacitance, ESR and resistance.
AD360 Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2024, 3:03 pm   #4
G6ONEDave
Octode

This might be a silly comment but I take it that you have checked the polarity of this Motorola unit. Being an 8-track it could be either positive earth or negative earth. if connected the wrong way round that would explain why the motor is going backwards.

Dave