UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2008, 12:23 am   #1
trevwgb
Tetrode

Question Bellset no1 malfunction

Hi all
I have a Bellset no 1 which has suddenly malfunctioned without any reason. There is nothing obvious wrong to inspection and I have checked the leads and internal wires seem intact etc, Thus I wondered if the induction coil might have developed a fault - do they do this? If so how could I test to see if this is the case?
Thanks
Regards
Trev
Old 18th May 2008, 1:21 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Bellset no1 malfunction

What is the nature of the malfunction?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 18th May 2008, 4:46 pm   #3
trevwgb
Tetrode

Hi
Thanks Russell - on plugging the bellset in, there is a faint noise in the receiver, but no dial tone. It's not the phone ( a 150 ), as I have tested this on another bellset and it works normally. Its not the socket as this works with other phones. I have changes the lead between the bellset and the phone - same problem. I confess I have not yet changed the lead between the bellset and the socket, but this is new.
Regards
Trev
Old 18th May 2008, 5:16 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Have you checked the induction coil windings with a resistance meter. If you have the circuit diagram which should be pasted inside the lid, this should give the resistance readings for the coil windings.

Also, if you connect the meter (again on resistance setting) across the capacitor, it should briefly show a reading as the capacitor charges then settle down to infinity at DC.
Old 14th Jul 2008, 11:45 pm   #5
Davey9923
Retired Dormant Member

Hi dont know if this is of any use to you but i just wired up an old 706 to a new plug, everything worked well but the phone would not ring. After many hours work I fond another new plug and on testing that I found the colors were reversed, ie white and red, blue and green. It now works and rings perfectly.
Dave
Closed Thread