UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2009, 7:28 pm   #1
wheresthetubes
Retired Dormant Member

Default Recommend a good early valve VHF/FM radio

Hello, can anyone recommend a good VHF valve radio? I've just a few requirements.... Its got to be an early set, preferbly pre 1960, should have a reputation of working reasonably well in comparison with other radios of the period, and should look very nice. It'll get regular use on the sideboard. I almost had my hands on a Fenman 2 but sadly she slipped away. For some reason VHF valave radios are a bit thin on the ground. Many thanks.
Old 1st Oct 2009, 7:31 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Recommend a good early valve VHF/FM radio

Most Grundigs work well. Or Phillps. They had the valves sooner you see, and had more development time as a result. Fenman 2's are a little bit deaf, especially on AM.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 1st Oct 2009, 7:59 pm   #3
Leon Crampin
Octode

If you live in a marginal reception area I would go for either a Bush VHF61/2 (bakelite/wood) or a VHF64 (get a later model to avoid hum) if you also want good sound. You would need to fix the tweeter in the '64.

Apart from an excellent build standard, the Bush sets have an extra IF stage which makes all the difference under marginal conditions. A tuning indicator is always good to have on an FM set without AFC. The Bush sets are useless on AM.

If reception conditions are favourable, the early Murphy sets are good - although they have less gain than the Bush models. I have an A272C console baffle set with an octal output valve and a 10" Celestion 'speaker. It sounds very good when well set up and the AM is much better as Murphy fitted proper aerial coils. A non-rotatable ferrite rod on a big mains set is a joke - most of the German makers realised this.

Leon.
Old 1st Oct 2009, 8:11 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Grundigs are superb, but a bit of a fiddle to restore.

The Bushes are wonderful to work on, in comparison.

But don't forget the Hacker Mayflowers. The MkII can be had for about £25 if you're lucky. Output is about 7W rms into a huge Goodmans elliptical speaker. FM only, so no compromises or unreliable switches.

Nick.
Old 1st Oct 2009, 8:12 pm   #5
wheresthetubes
Retired Dormant Member

I like the look of the Bush VHF61, I have half a dozen vintage radios but none of them are bakelite cased. I'd need a high gain one too as reception can be a bit poor so this one is looking favourite.
Old 1st Oct 2009, 8:14 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

They're slightly let down by their small speaker, but otherwise great.

I've used one as my main set for 6 months and really grown to like it.

Nick.
Old 1st Oct 2009, 8:19 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Hello,

It depends on how much room you've got !

You can't really beat a mid 1950s German built AM/FM radio for build quality, sound quality and impressive looks but then they are big ! The Grundig Hastings and Marlborough models are both good. The Cossor 524 Melody Maker is a fairly big set too, it works well and sounds excellent and is housed in a gorgeous bakelite case.

For a medium sized AM/FM set, I'd go for a Philips, the B3G63A has a nice bakelite case, is easy to restore, works very well and sounds very good too. The Bush VHF61 or VHF62 are very good looking sets, are very well built but IMHO don't work quite as well as the Philips set.

Finally if you can only accomodate a small radio then any of the pretty little German Philips Philetta models or the Dutch equivalent B3X72U model are all excellent, they are AC/DC sets so do run hot and are not easy to work on, but once working their performance is astonishing.

If you could stretch to 1960 then the Bush VHF80 and VHF81 sets are IMHO the best of the lot, in their compact bakelite cases they're not particularly good looking but they are very reliable, more sensitive than any of the above and they sound good too. They're also the cheapest among this selection.

Howard
Old 1st Oct 2009, 8:58 pm   #8
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Hi !
As a French, I own :
A 1957 Ducretet Thomson LP472 radiogram. Superb quality and sound. Limited to 100 MHz.
A couple of 3397 Grundig with stereo decoder fitted. They are gorgeous if you use them to power a couple of external loudspeakers; They go up to 104 Mhz.
A collection of little Braun SK (SK2; SK2/2, and SK25 all before the 60's) Brilliant bakelite design, object of art. MW and VHF only going up to 104 MHz. I've given all of them except the oldes SK2.
A couple of valve portable from Telefunken (a Bajazzo from 1955 and one from 1956) limited to 100 MHz Very good and nice.
A chassis from a Blaupunkt Arkansas 1957 with 100 Mhz VHF
All these sets are really good, and use ECC85 or US equivalent for the Thomson. (of course the portable use the DC90 and battery valves !
So choice is not so difficult. German sets are more easy to find as they were made in bigger numbers. The Grundigs may be fitted with a stereo decoder and give a very good sound.
All my VHF sets are in constant use in my house (my wife complains...) and frankly, I can't tell which one is the best !
Old 1st Oct 2009, 9:23 pm   #9
wheresthetubes
Retired Dormant Member

The Cossor 524 has a mottled brown bakelite case making it look more vintage than its 1955 release date, very nice looking set and I'd have room for one of those.
Old 1st Oct 2009, 9:56 pm   #10
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Only my opinion, of course, but the Fenman II is the best It's the only radio in my collection who's sound truly amazes me!

David
Old 1st Oct 2009, 11:02 pm   #11
mark pirate
Dekatron

I would recommend a grundig, i have a 2045 3D fitted with 4 speakers!
It sounds excellent on am, but stunning on fm
these sets were among the very best available in the late fifties & are still an supurb wireless.

Mark
Old 1st Oct 2009, 11:31 pm   #12
igranic
Rest in Peace

If you can find a good example, the Cossor 524 takes some beating. At 18"w x 12"h x 8"d it is somewhat smaller than the Grundigs, but is very sensitive, and in my opinion sounds excellent and is just as good-looking.

Edward

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...6&d=1253033850
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 7:07 am   #13
avro
Heptode

I would go for the Hacker Mayflower I, VHF up to 108. I have one and use it for my office radio.

BVWS member
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 2:31 pm   #14
hamid_1
Heptode

I would also recommend the Bush VHF61 - mine has been amazingly reliable. I bought it for 10p (!) in a jumble sale back in the late 1980s. It had a big sticker on it saying NOT WORKING. When I got it home, it all lit up and the tuning indicator moved but there was no sound. The "fault" was amazingly simple. At the back, there are terminals for connecting an external speaker. When these are unscrewed, the internal speaker is disconnected. One of the screws was missing - I just put in another screw and the set worked beautifully.
I replaced the EM80 "Magic Eye" valve with a new one about 20 years ago - th original one was looking a bit dim. Other than that, everything else is original, even the capacitors! The set continues to work - I last used it 2 days ago. (Yes, I should change "that" capacitor, and the dial lamp has now blown. Time to open it up...)

My grandfather had a huge wooden Grundig FM/MW/LW/SW valve radio with 3D Sound and a graphic equalizer! Can't remember the exact model number but it looked like this one
I coveted that radio - it sounded awesome! I remember the lovely bass sound, due to the massive wooden cabinet. When my grandfather died in 1989, my aunt immediately claimed the set, but she never used it, saying it didn't work. I offered to get it going for her but she wasn't interested. My aunt has since died 2 months ago. I have no idea what her family will do with all her stuff (probably send it straight to the tip That's one set I would love to have back again, if only for sentimental reasons.
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 6:17 pm   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Those Grundigs were very modern for their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post
My aunt has since died 2 months ago. I have no idea what her family will do with all her stuff (probably send it straight to the tip That's one set I would love to have back again, if only for sentimental reasons.
Sorry to hear about your aunt. Maybe a polite and tactful note to the relatives asking to bear you in mind if the Grundig is surplus to their requirements, would be in order? I'm sure they'd rather it went to a member of the family than the tip.

Your Bush will be a doddle to restore. Change all the wax/paper caps while you're in there, you will probably notice a huge improvement in performance.

Nick.
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 6:22 pm   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Some pics of the Hacker Mayflower II and the Bush VHF61/2 (re-capped).

Coincidentally, the Hacker belonged to my late grandfather. I recently rescued it when his relatives were clearing his bungalow. It too was going to be binned

Nick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker Mayflower II.JPG
Views:	734
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	29022   Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF61 top.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	29023   Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF61 underside.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	29024  
Old 3rd Oct 2009, 7:29 pm   #17
wheresthetubes
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks to all of you for your useful responses. I've decided to obtain a Bush VHF 61 when one becomes available. Infact there are four of these models currently available via eBay, though the 3 better condition ones are collection only . I accept that the output on one of these is not that of a Hacker 2 or a grundig, but I do like the look of them, it really does look of its time/era, and nice bakelite housing. From what I understand they're fairly reliable and easier than a philips to put right if it needs repairing. So I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for one of these, best regards.
Closed Thread