UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2009, 9:46 pm   #1
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default First "Restoration"

Hi all,

I was at the car boot today and picked up a Roberts R800 for the grand total of £1 It's in a bit of a sorry state cosmetically but electronically seems to be ok. Waveband selectors are a bit sticky and the volume/tone controls could do with a squirt of switch cleaner but otherwise pretty good, has a really nice sound. It's missing the bottom cover, the volume and tuning knobs are dented and the plastic under the tuning scale has dropped. Also the covering (red) has got paint overspray on it but I tried some Isopropyl on a small spot at that has cleared it so might attack the rest of it. Is it worth restoring (parts available etc??) or should I just keep it as-is for the workshop
On another note I was nearly tempted by a Thorn/Ferguson valve set. Looks like it ran from AC/DC, fairly dirty inside but the cabinet was pretty rough. Seller wanted £25 and wouldn't budge plus i've no experience with valve stuff (yet... but becoming tempted!) so walked away.

Cheers,

Kev
Old 27th Sep 2009, 9:49 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: First "Restoration"

Well, they do turn up often and it's surprising what Roberts do keep, so between them and the people on here you should be OK. Nice set.

£25 is a bit steep for a Ferguson AC/DC set. You can get one for less.

Cheers,

Steve P.