UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2009, 1:24 am   #1
Technomaniac
Triode

Default Geloso G110 Mini Mantel Radio Mystery

I recently bought this beaut little AM mantel radio in non-working condition.

It has had many faults. I've rebuilt the IF transformers, repaired a trimmer cap on the gang, flushed the coil unit, changed some caps and have had it going.

Sometimes I have a heater problem. It has an auto-transformer.The heater string is 110 volt, coming off a 110v tap...and there is a 39volt tap on the winding which connects to an equal-voltage tap on the string.

The front end is weak when working and sometimes doesn't. Probably because of the low filament voltage.Sometimes the 39v is down to 31v. Thats while the 240v mains is 235v and the 110v tap is 105v. I don't know why the 39v tap exists, unless for surges while powering up, things seem the same with it disconnected.

All the valves have 0.1A heaters. Even the rectifer and power output. Maybe there was another version with a larger output valve? I noticed that the power tranny had been out and the outer insulation wrap cut. So out it came, and I found an internal tagstrip floating, and the inner end of the winding broken off. But patching all of that didn't help. The wire probably broke while I was getting it out. Everything LOOKED to be in order, so I put it back in.

My downloaded diagram shows a multivoltage mains arrangement but this set has just the one primary connection, which I assume is 240V by the fitted plug, and I don't thing there are many places in the world with higher mains, except Western Australia, which is 260V if memory serves. But I have had the correct heater voltage in the set at times on the bench.

I have tried dropping off the dial lamp, the AC to the rectifier and the heater string and the voltage remains low. Does anyone have experience of this problem with this set, it looks like I'll have to rewind the transformer - I was wondering about dropping off the bottom end and grounding the dial lamp tap, and putting the string's earth end onto the originally grounded winding end.

Don't know if the transformer would stand it, and don't know if the situation is a stable one. If it came good there'd be too much heater and too much HT. The 6.3v dial lamp has only 3 or 4 volts in either condition. I doubt that I'd source a new transformer - this one may be a special for Australia - though I suppose spare taps can always be sleeved, if there is space enough. Nice little set, otherwise!

Last edited by Darren-UK; 26th Sep 2009 at 8:07 am. Reason: Paragraphed for ease of reading.
Old 26th Sep 2009, 9:13 am   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Geloso G110 Mini Mantel Radio Mystery

What do the valve voltages in the chains add up to? Maybe you could post the circuit here?
Closed Thread