UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2019, 6:33 am   #81
dsergeant
Octode

Default Re: Save our 2 Metre Band.

I fail to see what a petition via 38degrees can achieve, it is not directly connected to government. Read the background and criticisms of it at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_Degrees - I have not and will not sign that petition even if it is amended to correct its various errors.

I understand there is a .gov.uk petition in the works which is awaiting approval. That at least may result in it being discussed in a parliamentary committee although I doubt whether that will achieve what we want.

I suggest you read the documents available at https://rsgb.org/main/news/special-f...wrc-19-papers/ (bottom section, WRC-23 agenda items) which summarises what is being proposed and links to an excellent summary by Don G3BJ:
https://www.iaru-r1.org/index.php/17...te-from-cept-2

There is much mis-information being passed around.

73 Dave G3YMC
Old 30th Jun 2019, 9:12 am   #82
MrBungle
Dekatron

I wouldn’t bother with any online petitions at all. They are totally ineffective.

The gov.uk petitions usually result in a failed outcome as well. Plus you need 100k signatures to force a discussion which is unlikely.
Old 1st Jul 2019, 12:38 am   #83
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

The one thing that will save the 2M band (if its not too late) is to use it, where is everyone? are we all hanging out on the net, on facebook, etc?

It's hard to justify to the authorities to keep it if its not in use. I work mostly in west Wales, so it really isn't VHF country, the home QTH is in a dip down a valley, even HF has trouble getting in.

This can't be the situation for all operators, so where are you? Do you have a rig in the car? do you call out on it? or just leave it on scan?

I don't believe modes such as internet linked repeaters have anything to do with proper (infrastructure free) amateur radio. The FT8 fashion currently trending is in my opinion not in the amateur radio spirit as it too relies on complex infrastructure beyond our control.

I'm not having a go at anyone, but there is very little amateur radio spirit in being an appliance operator if you're afraid to take the covers off and play with it because it will invalidate the warranty, or it's too complicated.

There is so little activity on 2M that just hanging out on the FM or SSB calling frequency isn't going to inconvenience anyone. Make a noise!

If we don't start using the band it will very likely be reallocated, we will only have ourselves to blame.

If you have a 2M rig turn it on and use it, at home or in the car.

Rant over for now.

T
Old 1st Jul 2019, 6:54 am   #84
dsergeant
Octode

To some extent you are right T. The French aeronautical industry will have considered the current activity levels of the frequencies they are proposing to use and found that 2m is suitable as one where it can be used on a shared basis. They are probably right, a few aeronautical beacons and other things would hardly be noticed by we amateurs as there is enough undecodable stuff there anyway with all the digital traffic.

You are wrong though to suggest that FT8 relies on complex infrastructure not under our control. FT8 does rely on complex software written by other radio amateurs but the actual QSOs are directly under our control even though that 'control' may be nothing more than a finger clicking a mouse. I suspect you were referring to DMR/D-Star and Fusion digital modes which, when internet linked rather than simplex, involve a vast internet infrastructure developed from commercial software which the end amateur has no control over. A DMR QSO where the RF component may be across the shack to an internet connected access node is not amateur radio in my opinion, even though some in our local club are actively pushing this as their favourite mode.

73 Dave G3YMC
Old 1st Jul 2019, 8:51 am   #85
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Quote:
You are wrong though to suggest that FT8 relies on complex infrastructure not under our control. FT8 does rely on complex s G3YMC

Hi Dave what I was thinking is that FT* is a time synchronized protocol, no GPS or 'net, no FT8.

more later, off to check out "M on the way to work now,

T
Old 1st Jul 2019, 10:28 am   #86
dsergeant
Octode

See also http://mailman.pe1itr.com/pipermail/...ne/039773.html from DF2ZC of DARC which emphasises the danger of online petitions and letters to MPs. IARU is working vigorously behind the scenes to present a united front from the amateur community.

73 Dave G3YMC
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 11:03 am   #87
GSBX1220
Pentode

Tonight as I'm sure most of you are aware, is the 2M activity night from 20:00 local. I'll be there blasting away on SSB with my Trio TR9000 & Pye A200 linear.

A perfect chance to liven up 2m. Get to it!
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 11:07 am   #88
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Keep the UK end up Richard!
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 12:23 pm   #89
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyso_Bl View Post
I work mostly in west Wales, so it really isn't VHF country, the home QTH is in a dip down a valley, even HF has trouble getting in.
I'm going down that way in a few weeks, I'll try my best to wake up 2, 70 and 4. Last time I was in that area I 'found' a little parking area on the spine of the Mynydd Preseli which struck me as a potentially good /M operating site. There are some good high on-road spots in the hills between Rhayader and Aberystwyth as well, although that area is well to the east of where I'll be this time.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 3:54 pm   #90
MrBungle
Dekatron

/M is a good idea. I'm doing that on 14th on 2m. Going to see if I can "activate" Butser Hill via SOTA.

Is there any SSB / CW activity on 2m? I have my eye on an Elecraft XV144 to go with my K2 but that won't do FM.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 3:58 pm   #91
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I understand a lot is going off through the IARU.We certainly are not going to loose the band,just that we are not going to have it exclusively, if indeed it ever happens.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 6:18 pm   #92
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
/Is there any SSB / CW activity on 2m? I have my eye on an Elecraft XV144 to go with my K2 but that won't do FM.
144.300 is the SSB calling-frequency - they all use horizontal polarisation, which can be a problem for people who've put up a "white stick" collinear to work their local repeater.

BUT - there is a "centre of activity" on 144.250MHz vertically-polarised SSB - indeed the RSGB do news broadcasts there:

https://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/gb2r...adcast-starts/

which is where I'd direct those hams who have SSB-capability but only a white-stick antenna.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 7:12 pm   #93
raditechman
Heptode

I shall try 144.250 tonight with my co-linear and Icom 7100.

John
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 7:43 pm   #94
MrBungle
Dekatron

Thanks G6Tanuki.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 8:08 pm   #95
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

You might find it a bit busy!
There is a contest that started at 20:00 local and the band sounds more like 20m.
With real Italians!
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 8:34 pm   #96
MrBungle
Dekatron

I turn the radio off when the Italians come out. Sure they're all running 2Kw rigs or something. I literally can hear them on HF like they're in the next room when there's 6 foot of wire coming out the back of a receiver.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 8:59 pm   #97
Scimitar
Heptode

I just had a listen and sure enough, another damn contest. Mind you, it does get HF RTTY going when there is a contest so not always so bad.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 10:07 pm   #98
MrBungle
Dekatron

Indeed. 30m also livens up a bit if band conditions are good.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 10:56 pm   #99
GSBX1220
Pentode

Unfortunately not much activity here tonight. Last month was busy. Did not work anything in more than a 30 mile radius.

Ho Hum
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 8:58 pm   #100
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
/M is a good idea. I'm doing that on 14th on 2m. Going to see if I can "activate" Butser Hill via SOTA.

Is there any SSB / CW activity on 2m? I have my eye on an Elecraft XV144 to go with my K2 but that won't do FM.
If you have a decent location and a good horizontal antenna you will find activity on 2M SSB/CW, even down here in darkest Cornwall!, I’d look at the Down East Microwave transverters rather than the Elecraft, they suffer from drift problems
Closed Thread