UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2009, 5:06 pm   #1
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Vidor CN420. Where do i start?

Hi, i picked this up today for £1. It is complete with its batteries which seem to have corroded the chassis with the fumes from them over past 40 years.
Any ideas how to clean the corrosion from the chassis, or is it not worth bothering with? Cheers, Malc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030344.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	29016   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030345.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	29017   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030346.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	29018   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030347.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	29019  
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 5:21 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Vidor CN420. Where do i start?

Hi Malc, they usually work well and are simple to repair.
A chain of PP3's is ideal for the HT. Usual caps to replace and some high value resistors in the AVC circuit that go even higher.
Should be a simple job.

Ed
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 5:28 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Battery valve sets have a much easier time of it than their tethered-to-the-wall sisters, as the running cost per hour tends to ensure they spend most of their time switched off.

Hoik the valves out, change the capacitor connected to G1 of the DL just on general principle, prove continuity from HT+ to DL anode meaning LS txr is OK, reinsert valves and apply juice. (If you've nothing better, use a D cell for the LT and a stack of PP3s for the HT.)

If anything happens at all -- a crackle from the speaker, or even just the oscillator going -- it's worth bothering with.
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 5:33 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

Well, remove but don't bin the batteries. They can be used to hide the PP3's and the 1.5v cell. (Or cells.)

Use sandpaper of varying degrees to get rid of the corrosion. Then it's the usual capacitor changes. Note that these battery valves don't physically light up. Be ready for that. They also tend to die.

Good sets when they work. Note : There is also a CN420A. The valves are not interchangable.

Cheers,

Steve P.