UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2007, 6:31 pm   #1
G8DLG
Retired Dormant Member

Default back cover repair

I have A Bush DAC90 with top corner of the back missing,(just burned away over the years with the heat of the dropper) I have repaired this by glueing in another piece from an old back cover,however most of the board is like powder and just flakes away.
What I wanted to know is whether there is a suitable material I can use to stabilise the cardbord,ie a resin that could be applied.I was thinking about what is used to impregnate timber rescued from the seabed to preserve it.
Any ideas?
Old 7th Oct 2007, 7:00 pm   #2
Radio Fixer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: back cover repair

I dont know if you could do a whole back cover but it works for corners. Here's what I do for them. I soak them in diluted PVA glue and then wrap a piece of plastic bag around them before clamping between pieces of wood. Leave to dry well and they come out fine with the glue drying transparent. Would I chance soaking a whole back? Probably if its falling apart, seems not much to lose.

Gary
Old 30th Oct 2007, 4:19 am   #3
jgj6331
Retired Dormant Member

There is a "wood hardener" made by Minwax here in the US that is used to stiffen up rotted wood in window casings and such. http://www.minwax.com/products/woodmaint/hardener.cfm I have used it with good success in such applications. It is available in small quantities and is a thin, clear liquid that brushes on readily and dries quickly. I believe such a product would be suitable for your problem. also see: http://makezine.com/pub/tool/Minwax_..._Wood_Hardener

Bill
Old 30th Oct 2007, 2:17 pm   #4
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgj6331 View Post
Hi I think the problem here is the US authorities won't allow this stuff in the post I couldn't get an aerosol of paint sent over, so I guess you'll have to find something similar this side of the pond, just had a thought dilute PVA should do it if it is then pressed flat and left for a while HTH

Mike
Old 30th Oct 2007, 7:30 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Ronseal also do a wood hardener, avaialable from Homebase, B&Q etc.

But frankly, PVA is probably a better bet.
Closed Thread