UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2011, 12:43 pm   #21
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Default Re: Grid coupling Capacitor aka "That" cap.

It didn't take me long to figure out what the term "that cap" meant and it is not a secret is it? As other people have said it adds to the ambiance of the forum. Anyway, if you really look into it it seems to be a gentleman's abbreviation for something a little more rude (that **##** capacitor) that should never be repeated in front of a lady or said in public. Hihi.
Old 31st Aug 2011, 5:39 pm   #22
Herald1360
Dekatron

BTW, will you have to change your forum name to something like EL34 when you move up to Pentode
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Apr 2013, 7:18 am   #23
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Nothing wrong with the occasional "in" joke. It adds to the character of the forum imho
It may well add to 'character' but it does absolutely nothing for members new to electronics, or for those non-members who may well be beginners or not have English as their first language.

Slang expressions and jokes are all very well between aficionados or colleagues in the workplace, but spare a thought for those who know little of electronics and are effectively diverted from an important action that they should take. There is a silent majority out there and across the globe that rely on this website for information and they too need consideration.

Cliquey language like that denies the uninitiated vital information, and is a direct (albeit unintentional) barrier to a significant knowledge item.

Billy
Old 29th Apr 2013, 7:29 am   #24
petervk2mlg
Heptode

I don't much like the expression either, but I'm a foreigner and as such really a guest. I'm happy to accept the usage prevalent on the forum.
Peter

Last edited by petervk2mlg; 29th Apr 2013 at 7:38 am.
Old 29th Apr 2013, 8:22 am   #25
Radio Wrangler

Rather a lot of stages have DC blocking capacitors feeding their control grids, but it's really the power stages like audio outputs and line scan outputs where the valve can pass enough current for such a scale of damage.

Like QQV06-40, I always assumed that 'That capacitor' was the expurgated version

David
Old 29th Apr 2013, 9:43 am   #26
Refugee
Dekatron

I don't use the term either for the same reason as the other users have given above.
Old 29th Apr 2013, 1:17 pm   #27
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Billy.
You are quite correct of course. I would hope that newcomers would ask as it is very obvious that all on this forum are a very friendly lot. I have seen over the years where people have asked and had their questions answered very well. Also, Wikipedia is not much use when it comes to this sort of "in joke".
Just a thought, might it be time for an on-going thread used as a "glossary of terms". Aimed at the beginners within our ranks who might be a little timid with regards to asking questions in such a public place. Those of us who have been here for a while accept that we are "among friends".
I hope that this is not too far OT.

Robert.
Old 1st May 2013, 6:51 am   #28
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQVO6/40 View Post
Just a thought, might it be time for an on-going thread used as a "glossary of terms". Aimed at the beginners within our ranks who might be a little timid with regards to asking questions in such a public place. Those of us who have been here for a while accept that we are "among friends". Robert.
I couldn't agree more, it is a great idea, and I hope it is implemented.

That is the right place for 'in-jokes', expressions known to the cognoscenti, and any other activities that unintentionally exclude the inexperienced or those for whom english is not their first language.

I'm not much for emoticons Robert, but this one is for you:

Billy
Old 1st May 2013, 9:39 am   #29
Radio_Dave
Nonode

A few seconds on the website search engine would answer everything.

To the uninitiated "output valve control grid capacitor" is going to be just as confusing as "that capacitor". If somebody is going to be too afraid to ask for clarification to an answer I doubt they would ever started a thread in the first place.

We also use other vintage terms for capacitors like "waxies" and "condensers" which, nowadays, could confuse the initiated and uninitiated alike, but I kind of like the idea we still use them and keep them alive

David
Old 1st May 2013, 10:31 am   #30
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Just call it a grid coupling capacitor before the post gets closed.
Old 1st May 2013, 6:08 pm   #31
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Just call it a grid coupling capacitor before the post gets closed.
Yes indeed. It is what I have been doing in order to help avoid confusion.
Old 1st May 2013, 8:22 pm   #32
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

At least the term "grid coupling capacitor" can be Googled or looked up in a book, and meaningful info gleaned.

On the other hand, we're all nice people here, so any newbie who is brave enough to ask "what's that capacitor?" will hopefully get an explanation too. But there may be some who think they've missed something obvious or are being dim, and be too embarrassed to ask for an explanation.

N.
Old 2nd May 2013, 2:55 am   #33
Refugee
Dekatron

I would like to see the explanation given if someone does their first restoration on a Pye Black Box with a push pull output stage.
Would the two phase splitter capacitors effectively double the amount of confusion involved?
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:39 pm   #34
kalee20
Dekatron

In which case we'd refer to them as "those capacitors."
Old 25th Mar 2014, 3:32 pm   #35
Station X

Two off topic audiophoolery posts deleted.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread