UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2019, 11:21 pm   #21
Andy Green
Hexode

Default Re: A bonus GEC 2028

Lovely set! A favourite of mine. Great memories of my childhood friends colour TV it as that or a Baird. I was really envious of them back in 68! My parents were most unreasonable I thought not to buy or rent one , even though a set was a close to couple of months wages back then
Old 13th Sep 2019, 10:02 am   #22
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Great job Tas. That tube looks as good as new.
I was always an RGB fan as most of our TV's that our customers owned or rented included the excellent Decca Bradford, ITT CVC 5 and the Philips G8/G9 all used RGB drive. The only sets that we saw that used CDA were the Pye Hybrids and most of these had smouldering conductive CDA boards.
But I do remember seeing my first GEC hybrid single standard set, which I repaired for a friend, and was very impressed with the quality of the picture. I thought the picture was every bit as good even superior to the best of the sets that used RGB drive.
Old 13th Sep 2019, 11:32 am   #23
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
...Hope no-one's been trying to "adjust" the tuner to get rid of the patterning...
That is a bit of a concern. There is evidence of a couple of replaced components on the rear (outside) of the tuner!
Old 13th Sep 2019, 11:34 am   #24
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts smoothing bomb View Post
...You'll find that you won't need a stain as dark as yo think. On some cabinets that I have done I've found that just the application of the lacquer alone darkens the wood dramatically...
When I washed the wood with white spirit to get rid of the sawdust it gave an idea of the darkness of the cabinet but it wasn't dark enough unfortunately.
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 6:21 pm   #25
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Well done on the nice result. I've done up a couple of these including one recently for the Dulwich museum. Both had annoying striations down the left, especially noticeable on 625. Does yours? Service manual says when you've eliminated other things problem is probably LOPT.
I carelessly left one running unobserved and when I next looked-dead set. Boost cap had gone s/c and dragged enough current through LOPT to blow the mains fuse! Amazingly LPOT survived. Incredible that over current protection is so poor, but when they are working they work well and reliability is pretty good.
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 9:14 am   #26
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

That looks great! The 2028 was one of the first colour receivers I worked on. Really nice pictures and the chassis was quite reliable if you sorted out the usual mains filter/boost etc as preventative maintenance. They were usually 'monochrome receiver' faults.
We have a 19" example at the museum that Steve [a valuable friend of the museum] despite having many age related faults, kindly brought back to splendid condition. Thank you very much Stephen!
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 10:09 am   #27
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Later models had a thermal cutout in the PL509's circuit, similar to that used in the Thorn 3000 series, which did help, until it went wrong itself, of course! Besides this, wasn't there just one fuse in the GEC hybrids? This series was a case of a chassis being refined until it became very reliable - one 20" I looked after went through three tubes! I had one as a loan set which got thrown about and abused as you'd expect without a murmur.
Early 2040 single standards used a solid-state rectifier instead of the PY500A, though I never saw one. I assume it wasn't a good move as they soon reverted to the good old valve.
After these excellent sets, I was never particularly fond of the solid-state chassis with their dissolving plastic cabinets on the small screen sets and the flickering touch buttons on the 26", and their fairly basic over-voltage protection (that 47v zener).
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 10:18 am   #28
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Its going to look brilliant when its finished.
Old 24th Sep 2019, 5:55 pm   #29
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hi Steve

I haven't noticed any striations down the left hand side of the raster on my example. I'm guessing you've explored all the usual suspects - line linearity coil damping resistor, top cap lead dressing etc?

Thanks John (and glad to hear that you're on the mend) It produced a very nice picture on Mike's broadcast quality modulator but on mine, and including the RF output of the Sky box, there is nasty patterning on the picture which varies with the tuning. When I got the set, the cover was off the UHF tuner and there has been some work on the little PCB on the back of the tuner so I'm a bit concerned that it's been fiddled with I will try to patch in an alternative tuner to establish whether it is at fault.

Glyn - those 20" tubes weren't all that good were they?

Simon - I'm very much hoping so
Old 25th Sep 2019, 9:48 am   #30
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

That sounds like a plan. Luckily they're a fairly standard UHF tuner - at least it's not an integrated type! Isn't it the same basic tuner as the later mono sets?
Old 25th Sep 2019, 12:16 pm   #31
micheal
Pentode

I had striation on GEC 2028 it was o/c screen grid decoupler on line output valve.

Mike
Old 26th Sep 2019, 9:53 pm   #32
The teleman
Pentode

Hi Taz
great to see a GEC 2028 in working order ,fantastic write up & interesting faults too
The CRT looks to be in excellent shape too
This has been most encouraging to read as I have a 2028 that I need to restore to working condition , I also have a 2030A the one in the posh frock that also needs looking at when I can muster up the strength to get it on the bench
Well done ! Excellent work

Chris
Closed Thread