UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 11th Sep 2019, 9:41 pm   #1
trh01uk
Heptode

Default RCA AR-88D Receiver

I have a rather nice AR-88D to sell. Photos are attached. What makes it unusual is:
  • Original S-meter fitted (yes the one that works backwards)
  • The cosmetics are about 9 out of 10 (see notes below for defects)
  • Original and complete (though I haven't checked below chassis)

So it isn't the usual story of strange mods, extra holes and non-original knobs. As far as I can see its close to the factory original. The blemishes on the cosmetics are mainly on the top and sides of the case, which has some scuff marks and scratches

It was working to spec when I first had it about 12 years ago, but it hasn't been used for about 7 years. So I was pleased to switch it on to find it working to a reasonable degree. I did a check of sensitivity across all bands, and the results are enclosed. Where possible I also checked S/N ratio - but the gain was low on 4 out of 6 bands, so I couldn't do that test.

What the test results show is that the receiver is low in gain on 4 out of 6 bands, and needs some realignment on all bands. Since there is sufficient gain on 2 bands, it seems unlikely that any of the valves are low emission. I suspect that the band change switch is dirty and thus lossy, because switching bands produces the usual crackly audio.

The BFO is also working fine. And the S-meter is surprisingly linear - that is to say it is not particularly accurate in an absolute sense, but relatively its pretty good. So a 10dB change of input, produces a 10dB change on the meter.

An original RCA manual comes with the receiver, plus a paper copy of the main EMERs (technical description, parts lists, schematic and layouts).

Price is 150 (which incidentally is what I paid for it 12 years ago). I am not willing to ship it (weight is ~ 46kg), so its collect only from Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0997[1].jpg
Views:	118
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	190000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0995[1].jpg
Views:	84
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	190001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1002[1].jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	190002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007[1].jpg
Views:	72
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	190003  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AR-88D test results.pdf (24.9 KB, 11 views)
trh01uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2019, 9:45 pm   #2
trh01uk
Heptode

Default Re: RCA AR-88D Receiver

I have some further photos of the AR-88D, which are attached. I can take more if anyone wants a specific angle or point taken.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1000[1].jpg
Views:	69
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	190004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999[1].jpg
Views:	65
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	190005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0998[1].jpg