UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2019, 10:18 am   #1
Shinra94
Retired Dormant Member

Unhappy [CRT] KV-28LS35U New Power Cord?

Have got this TV, but the power cord is completely severed. I was going to go with a terminal block, but there's not even enough left to work with. Anybody have any ideas on where I could even source the cable part with clip for the board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	194594  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 11:38 am   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: [CRT] KV-28LS35U New Power Cord?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I'd be tempted to put a connector inside the TV for now to see whether it works and you're happy with it. If you are, then I'm sure one of us could find you a lead and connector, but you'd have to post a close up picture of it.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 12:37 pm   #3
Shinra94
Retired Dormant Member

There's not even enough cable left to install any connector to it. Beyond that anti-snag clip there's nothing! This is as best as I can photograph it as I didn't want to slide the whole back panel off as I may not get it back on and a speaker is connected to the back case and I can't find where to safely disconnect it.

If I can get the cable with the clip, I can just push an arm in and change it over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191129_085601.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	194600  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 1:20 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I thinkk you need to bite the bullet and remove the back entirely.

Be careful and you should be fine.

Beware if knocking the neck of the cathode ray tube with the back, and breaking it!

The speaker(s) should be un-pluggable somehow.

N
Old 29th Nov 2019, 1:21 pm   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

There's two things that sort of resemble a clip, the first a strain relief, the second a connector. The white roundish part that attaches the cable to the bottom of the case for strain relief, isn't part of the cable. You can just unclip it and remove the cable from it. Then use a terminal block to attach the new cable to the old stub which is still attached to the connector. Use the strain relief thingy to reattach the new cable to the case. The terminal block will sit happily above the connector being propped up by the wires. You can unplug the connector by pinching the lever on the side and pulling it, if that makes it easier to strip the wires.

Last edited by Maarten; 29th Nov 2019 at 1:27 pm.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 2:22 pm   #6
Shinra94
Retired Dormant Member

Guess I'll order a terminal block then and have a go with what's left. Any particular lead you recommend to use for this? We don't have the severed cable. Seems to require one with two cables inside the sheath whereas I've only ever changed plugs and stuff on cables with three wires inside.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 2:49 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Right. You need twin core cable of the same size and type you have the remains of. Take a trip to a hardware shop, B&Q or whatever and get a couple of metres - take the existing piece with you. As Maarten says, it just unclips. While you're there get a length of 5A 'choc block' - a terminal strip with two screws in an insulated sheath - Google for a picture. Connect brown to brown, blue to blue and put a 13A plug on the other end. Put it back and see if the set works. If it does then you can put the little grommet back and secure the wire properly.
My concern is why it's been cut in the first place, of course, so don't be surprised if the TV's faulty.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 3:18 pm   #8
Shinra94
Retired Dormant Member

It was cut by my brother by accident when he was moving it and put the TV's weight right on the cable. It's not a random TV we found or anything. It was fully functional up until this event.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 3:27 pm   #9
FIXITNOW
Octode

pull the little bit you have inside and fit a new bit through the clamp then solder and sleeve the joints I use adhesive heat shrink

you can use the old lead just put it through the cable clamp first
Old 29th Nov 2019, 4:28 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

No offence intended, but I get the impression that the poster doesn't have soldering skills. Using a block will avoid having to solder.
Glad to hear the TV's OK - they were a good (though heavy) set.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 5:44 pm   #11
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinra94 View Post
It was cut by my brother by accident when he was moving it and put the TV's weight right on the cable. It's not a random TV we found or anything. It was fully functional up until this event.
Those Sony sets are really heavy beasts. The Sony sets sold in the US have a well-made, more robust power cord, per our electrical standards. If the set was dropped on it, it would possibly be slightly damaged, but not severed!

I have several Sony color sets and like them a lot.
Dave, USradcoll
Old 29th Nov 2019, 6:40 pm   #12
Shinra94
Retired Dormant Member

^ none taken. I'm good for a bit of plug-swapping and general DIY. Terminal strip and a choc block seems ideal and at my level.

Would I be right in thinking it's these two I need?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCON5.html

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CHOCBOX.html
Old 1st Dec 2019, 2:40 am   #13
ben
Dekatron

This summer I had to work on a Sony set a bit older than yours. The speakers in the back cover had a white plastic connector mid way along the cables going to the main board, you just squeeze it and it pulls apart into two, allowing the back to move unhindered. As you have found, there's not a generous amount of speaker cable so you will need to be careful not to yank the back too far open as you do this. I would also reiterate what was said earlier - you do not want to knock the tube neck with the back cover!

I seem to recall one of the speaker cables being loosely hooked onto the rear of the CRT on a harness; if so, freeing it from there will give you a bit more cable to work with.

As concerns the mains lead. You can also use a two core mains lead from an old/unwanted appliance you may have at home, such as an old printer or lamp. This is where having a garage full of junk is a real bonus ;-)

Last edited by ben; 1st Dec 2019 at 2:44 am. Reason: misread model number!
Old 1st Dec 2019, 9:48 pm   #14
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes - that's a choc-block! You might not have enough room to fit the cover but don't worry as it's in the TV itself and not in danger of being touched. If you can get it on, so much the better. As Ben says, an obsolete bit of equipment may well have a suitable 2-core lead and a plug on the end to boot! You'll need a 5A fuse for this as they take a big gulp of power when switching on.
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 6:07 pm   #15
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Yes - that's a choc-block! You might not have enough room to fit the cover but don't worry as it's in the TV itself and not in danger of being touched. If you can get it on, so much the better. As Ben says, an obsolete bit of equipment may well have a suitable 2-core lead and a plug on the end to boot! You'll need a 5A fuse for this as they take a big gulp of power when switching on.
Those Sony sets have a high power degausser and have a heavy inrush current. When first switching on, the lights dim slightly, even in a newer properly wired home.
Dave, USradcoll1
Closed Thread