UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2018, 11:33 pm   #1
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default CM Howes CVF80 kit zener diode voltage?

I'm spending a couple of hours repairing a very badly built Howes kit for a friend of mine who picked it up from a silent key. It is an 80M DC receiver. I've had this in the cupboard for about 3 months.

Looks like one of the wires has come off from some shoddy soldering and shorted the CVF80 board rail to ground. This has destroyed the pass transistor, zener and one of the resistors and toasted a trace.

Now I did some googling and found the instructions for the kit but it unhelpfully claims that the zener "is a BZY88" and that's it. No voltage or anything useful.

Can anyone shed any light as to what the voltage of this zener might be?

I can trial some values but the traces are already toasted so I'm not sure I want to risk too much soldering around that area in case anything else lifts.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 4:30 am   #2
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: CM Howes CVF80 kit zener diode voltage?

Based on a supply voltage of 10-15V and VFO output levels of 3V, I would hazard a guess and say it is either 6.2 or 6.8 v.

I would also probably plunk for a 78L06 and scrap the pass transistor arrangement if the damage is that bad re tracks (unless originality is desired).
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 8:31 am   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yeah I was going to try a 6.2V one if I didn’t get an answer.

Actually that’s a really good idea with the 78L06. I have a bag of them. Thanks for the suggestion. I will do that. I’m not too worried about originality here as the whole thing is a mess.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 9:16 am   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The G-QRP club have circuit diagrams and instruction info.
http://www.gqrp.com/howes.htm
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 10:01 am   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

I've already got the instructions for it. They merely state this as the part. No indication of zener voltage:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	159681  
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 10:50 am   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The thought comes to my mind that perhaps it was any value between 5.6 and 7.2, whatever was available.
The 78L06 looks like a good idea.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 11:14 am   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

Well I just tried a 6.2V zener in it and it appears to be as dead as a dodo still. Think something else has gone phut. I will persist further this evening.

I am getting to the point I will strip the board bare and rework it from scratch with new parts. I have all of them in stock.

There is no outcome desired from this process, merely not being defeated
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 11:50 am   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I built a few Howes kits, they all worked well, mainly test equipment and I think there was a TX and RX, thirty years ago or so ago.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 11:57 am   #9
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yeah I'm quite impressed with the design so far. I did some looking around at the other ones they did and I genuinely wish they were still around. I'd probably spend a lot of money

Only problem with this one is the guy who assembled it. Seen worse things done to Heathkits though!
Old 26th Mar 2018, 11:09 pm   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

Got it working. Disassembled the entire VFO apart from the inductor, repaired the board, cleaned and washed it and replaced all of the components with new ones. Sprang straight into action and is now quite happily tuning on a long wire antenna out of the window. VFO is quite stable. Impressed.

Used a 6.2v Zener in the end to keep it original plus it was difficult to get a 78L06 in without modifying everything.

Bit that took the longest to fix was working out why the cap wasn’t affecting VFO frequency. Turned out the wire was broken inside the insulation

Returning to original owner now in exchange for beer
Closed Thread