UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2018, 4:13 pm   #1
John Mann
Triode

Default Navy broadcast receiver identification

Hello. I'm posting this here in case this is a piece of Navy equipment, although I think it will probably prove to be a domestic set. Sorry about the poor quality. My father was a naval instructor at Chatham Dockyard in 1947-8 and this is his classroom. In his letters home he refers to this set only as a "1947 pattern wireless". Can anyone identify it?
Thanks, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	156640   Click image for larger version

Name:	radi 2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	156641  
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 4:17 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Navy broadcast receiver identification

Marconi CR100.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 7:53 pm   #3
John Mann
Triode

Thanks Lawrence, that makes sense. Well done on identifying it, there is hardly any detail in the picture. Presumably the loudspeaker could have come from anywhere or might even have been made in a carpentry class.

The receiver sadly did not get the chance to demonstrate its full performance, being only used to listen to the 15-minute daily "Forces Educational Broadcast" on the Light Programme!
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 7:58 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'm fascinated by what's written on the blackboard: looks like they were costing-out a rather expensive movie!
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 9:50 pm   #5
John Mann
Triode

I can enlighten you, since I have the original letter that went with the photo:
"This is my hut - Room 13. You can see "A" The 'Information Room' with piles of Hansards and Educational Supplements. "B" The wireless in the corner. "C" a colourful agriculture poster. "D" Blackboard with statistics for Discussion Group on 'Film Industry'. "
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 10:24 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

Is that a dual-cone speaker or some other construction detail? (Nerdy detail time-) I'm intrigued by the way that the CR100 logging scale seems to be back-lit- I thought that they had opaque steel discs with black graduation on off-white with no illumination (the horizontal bar frequency scale roller being top-lit), though of course a great many were made and they may have changed in detailing over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
looks like they were costing-out a rather expensive movie!
'Twas ever thus....
Old 4th Feb 2018, 11:10 am   #7
John Mann
Triode

I initially thought that the lower circular item was a crude rheostatic volume control. Looking at the original photo (from a Box Brownie, so the resolution is nowhere near as good as you might expect on a negative that size) it does have 4 screw holes around the circumference like the main speaker. Did anyone sell, or even home make, dual-cone speakers in 1947?

Regarding the "back lighting", it may just be the reflection of the low sun. Look how it is lighting up the book spines.

Last edited by John Mann; 4th Feb 2018 at 11:13 am. Reason: Add comment on back light
Old 7th Feb 2018, 6:59 pm   #8
gm0ekm cecil
Tetrode

Being a Naval set-up this set looks more like a Marconi B28 ...(Admiralty Patt.)
Closed Thread