UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2018, 8:15 pm   #141
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette "Monarch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
Thanks Lawrence - no difference when the mains earth is disconnected - now reconnected. In fact I've fitted a new three core mains lead and plug with a 3A fuse.

For the sake of my ongoing education, what was the significance of the tests to short the treble wiper and control grids to the chassis?
Bypassing various points in the signal path to chassis helps to narrow down where the hum is being introduced. If nothing else it did show up the grounding fault between the center tag of the pickup tag strip and the record deck.

The disconnecting the mains earth test was see if there was excessive leakage between the primary and the secondary of the mains transformer that doesn't trip an RCD but might be enough to introduce some hum via an earth loop.

Lawrence.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 11:28 am   #142
DonaldStott
Octode

Dansette "Monarch" now returned to its owner who is very happy that they have a functioning record player!

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and guidance - this has been a useful education for me.

Two final questions: -

1. The front speaker grill has been bashed and dented numerous times in the past - can you recommend any sources for replacements?

2. Has anyone ever had one of these record players recovered - again any advice on materials, sources and costs would be welcomed.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 11:46 am   #143
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

These types of grilles always seem to get dented over time, but they look superb when new. The only way is to remove and roll it out. I specified a similar type of grille on the Pye "Compact" portable record player of 1962 and have regretted it ever since!
As to recovering, you can google sources of materials by looking up "Rexine" or "Rexine Equivalent". I do not recommend recovering unless in extreme circumstances as it diminishes their (high) value and originality. It's amazing what can be achieved by deep cleaning and colour dye restore.