UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2022, 12:16 am   #1
silver ghost
Triode

Default Setting up an AM antenna

I have usually just used a long copper wire for AM antenna, but I found this video on the subject. Does anyone know what that thing in the middle is? It is a sort of fine tuning of the signal. He calls it a simple variable capasitor and talks in a way that we all are familiar with the finer points of antenna building. Can I just buy any on ebay and make my own DIY attempt?
Old 16th Jul 2022, 2:09 am   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Setting up an AM antenna

It is a regular variable capacitor (air-spaced) and he's quoting a range of something like 15 to 420pF for it. There seem to be quite a few on eBay which would do nicely, but the prices are alarmingly high. You don't need to match it exactly for the min/max values, but if you use anything smaller (~365pF max) you may need some extra turns on the loop to get resonance (he quotes the formula for resonance).

There are variable caps with solid dielectric, and if you can find an old radio with one in it, you could save some money.

B
Old 16th Jul 2022, 5:42 am   #3
vu2nan-nandu
Pentode

It's an AM loop antenna that would give maximum signal strength with the plane of the loop in the direction of the station.

A null would be obtained with the normal to the plane of the loop pointing towards the station.

The component, at the centre of the loop, is an air-spaced variable capacitor connected across the loop.

Such a capacitor may be salvaged from an old valve radio.

'PVC' variable capacitors, salvaged from old transistor radios, may also be used.

'Antenna' and 'oscillator' sections of the capacitors may be connected in parallel to increase the capacitance.

The capacitor is used to tune the loop to resonance at the required frequency.

The ferrite antenna of a portable radio may be inductively coupled to the loop antenna, placing the radio in close proximity for improved reception of stations.
Old 16th Jul 2022, 8:46 am   #4
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
Make a frame aerial, a meter square will have 8 turns with a single coupling turn to the radio. Tuning cap 500pf. They work well.
Here is the one I use that actually works as a crystal set!
https://youtu.be/t-NM3tZZgWM
Old 16th Jul 2022, 9:46 am   #5
LyntonP
Hexode

I built one a couple of years ago. Very effective but rather cumbersome.
Lynton
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	384172DC-CE6F-49EB-BCD8-F37D60278166.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	261021  
Old 18th Jul 2022, 11:25 pm   #6
silver ghost
Triode

Thanks for reply all of you. Your home made antennas look nice too. I shall have to order the capacitor, I have no old radio to sacrifice. My working AM radio is a Phillips 50s valve radio with a record player.

I have looked at several loop antenna tutorials. Some make an antenna with the end of the copper wire (from the loops) connecting and are left with two connector plugs at the end of the antenna. Some seem to make the loops separate, and then make the antenna wire that connects to the radio inside the loops. My old radio has one single banana plug for connecting antenna, and I think one for earth.

A second type antenna I have found that's suppose to be good is a spiderweb antenna. I assume it works in a similar way, but the copper loops are done flat on a pice of plywood, often pentagon or heptagon shaped.

I think most radio broadcast (if I can find any) still are medium wave, but my radio have three settings; long wave, medium wave and short wave. Are there separate anennas for various wavelengths?
Closed Thread