UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2021, 4:02 pm   #1
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Default Speaker cloth replacement

Hi,

I have recently got a 1935 Marconi 435 Radio. The speaker cloth/material is beyond cleaning and I have ordered (thanks to my wife - fabrics are her domain!). I guess the old cloth was glued to the speaker mounting board with maybe hide glue - so that it can be removed in the future. So, my question is what suggestions for a suitable modern glue to use? Obviously PVA is easy to use, but not easily removed in the future if needed. So I await some help. Thanks. Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	239662  

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 19th Aug 2021, 10:53 pm   #2
red-duck
Triode

Default Re: Speaker cloth replacement

I've had good results with "craft" glue and PVA.
Maybe use a few drawing pins etc to keep cloth under tension as glue dries.
Perth, Western Australia
Old 20th Aug 2021, 7:55 am   #3
Dickie
Octode

Why would you need to remove it in the future? If it gets torn/damaged/faded you would want to replace it anyway!

Richard, BVWS member
Old 20th Aug 2021, 10:36 am   #4
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Red -Duck, Thanks for your input. I think that is what I will do. The new fabric has just arrived.

Dickie, If the fabric has (for whatever reason) to be replaced in the future then removing the old fabric would be easier if it was stuck on with a water soluble adhesive. Like antique furniture is usually repaired with hide glue for a similar reason.

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 20th Aug 2021, 12:40 pm   #5
Dickie
Octode

Hi Andy,
I take your point, but it takes quite a lot of soaking to loosen water-based adhesives. I would guess the baffle board is likely to be plywood and I wouldn't want to get water anywhere near it for fear of it delaminating. I would choose to use a mechanical method of removal!

Richard, BVWS member
Old 20th Aug 2021, 4:32 pm   #6

As you have access to a fabric person try some iron on stiffening.

Old 20th Aug 2021, 6:44 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

Why worry about the future in that respect? Even if you have to get rough with it, speaker cloth is relatively easy to remove. Sand the mounting board down afterwards if needed. I'd use a general purpose craft/PVA glue sparingly.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 6:40 pm   #8
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Hi, Andy,

I've had good results using embroidery stretchers on the past for applying speaker cloth. Buy an embroidery ring just a little larger than the speaker hole (like this). Use it to stretch the cloth evenly without being too tight. With the radio/amplifier or whatever face down on the bench apply a band of glue all round the inside face of the hole, then place the embroidery ring on top of it - this way it's very easy to orient any pattern in the fabric correctly. Place a few books on top and let it dry. Then it's just a simple matter of running a craft knife around the inside rim of the hoop and lifting away the hoop and its attached offcut. No trying to hammer tacks in a limited space, the fabric doesn't warp as you try to stretch it manually and the weave of the fabric will be correctly orientated.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 24th Aug 2021, 1:11 pm   #9
clockman
Pentode

Can you advise me ware to obtain speaker cloth or grill at a reasonable price as i find it can be very expensive on most sites ?
Old 24th Aug 2021, 1:46 pm   #10

Quote:
Can you advise me ware to obtain speaker cloth
Try the Indian/Pakistani cloth shops, a very good one is in Southall. An amazing range of fabrics to be had, once you get over the giggles from the ladies in there! I have got pieces for nothing, just take in the board and accept a cup of tea.

Closed Thread