UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2020, 6:55 pm   #1
Whaam68
Hexode

Default German “Ero” capacitors

I recently picked up a Harting valve tape recorder from another forum member for restoration. I cannot find any info on the unit But it is date stamped under the chassis as 1959. It contains a handful of German Ero capacitors at strategic points which I haven’t come across before, a paper outer with what looks like a hard resin core. Checking a few of these on an L.cR meter they test moderately high. For example a 33nf cap tests as 48.7 at 7.8 kHz.....and 54nf at 1khz (the tester only has 3 frequencies). Similarly their readings are a bit all over the place. As the deck has clearly been out of commission for a very long time my instinct is to Replace these as well as any obviously out of tolerance electrolytics before applying power through a lamp limiter. would a poly film cap be a suitable replacemen for these? (of the same rating). They are marked with a black band At one end but I’m assuming that denotes which end is connected to the foil rather than polarisation? Any wisdom On these would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCC877FB-D2DB-472D-A45D-A322130B3798.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	207837   Click image for larger version

Name:	7B0A6EE7-EE68-4B60-BC42-243C4D69B918.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	207838   Click image for larger version

Name:	E26F75DC-4A8C-441E-BEEC-AD3330FBFD24.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	207839   Click image for larger version

Name:	80186763-54E9-4B4A-9878-C8E2B1949110.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	207840  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 7:14 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: German “Ero” capacitors

With those readings I'd say thet were well leaky!

Have you got megger to try on them?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Jun 2020, 7:22 pm   #3
paulsherwin

As a general rule of thumb, any old cap which reads significantly high on test is leaky. The DC path confuses the LCR analyser.
Old 6th Jun 2020, 7:46 pm   #4
Whaam68
Hexode

Thanks guys. No Megger but ...I do have an older bridge that tests leakage at working voltage....will have to dig it out of the cupboard and test. Can I substitute film caps for these?
Thanks
Mike
Old 6th Jun 2020, 8:00 pm   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

ERO (Roderstein) existed as an independent capacitor maker from 1925 until Vishay bought it in the early 90's.
Old 6th Jun 2020, 9:08 pm   #6
vidjoman
Dekatron

I’ve found most of these of that age are bad. They often look dry and faded. No point just testing them it’s easier to just replace them.
Old 6th Jun 2020, 9:14 pm   #7
Whaam68
Hexode

Ok thanks....to be fair physically they look ok.
Will replace using any old film....e.g. polyester/polyprop?
Mike
Old 6th Jun 2020, 9:23 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Personally I would say Polypropylene metal film would be better, say 630 volts rating.
Old 6th Jun 2020, 10:25 pm   #9
Whaam68
Hexode

Thanks
Will search the stash & see what I have.
Old 6th Jun 2020, 11:06 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

Water has a very high dielectric constant, so once some moisture gets into a paper dielectric, the capacitance really does go high. Impure water is fairly conductive, so here comes leakage.

On top of that, some capacitance meters read quite high if there is leakage irrespective of any increase in C

David
Old 7th Jun 2020, 7:51 am   #11
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Polypropylene capacitors are superior to polyester in several respects, but in many positions in a circuit they would offer little or no advantage. Since they are larger and more expensive than polyester, I generally use the latter for non-critical applications.

Yes, the black band normally denotes the outer foil.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 8:37 am   #12
Radio Wrangler

The main thing to beware of with polyester capacitors is that they are prone to 'Dielectric Absorption'

If you use them in things like integrators and analogue to digital converters (particularly the integrator in a DVM) they will drive you up the wall. Discharge them completely fairly quickly, then remove the shunt and watch them charge themselves back up!

They can cause the oddest low frequency instabilities in feedback loops.

For most audio and radio purposes they're rarely a problem, but be careful in the feedback filter of phase locked loops.

If you've never run into this before, the first time comes as a bit of a surprise. Impossible things seem to be happening.

David
Old 7th Jun 2020, 8:57 am   #13
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

If you search Farnell for Vishay polypropylene axial film caps you get

https://uk.farnell.com/w/c/passive-c...s=axial-leaded

Which are all axial lead Vishay Roederstein. If you want the restoration to look original, you can probably scoop out (or drill/dremel) the insides of the old ones and hide a new one inside.

Craig
Old 7th Jun 2020, 9:03 am   #14
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaam68 View Post
I recently picked up a Harting valve tape recorder from another forum member for restoration. I cannot find any info on the unit But it is date stamped under the chassis as 1959. It contains a handful of German Ero capacitors at strategic points which I haven’t come across before, a paper outer with what looks like a hard resin core. Checking a few of these on an L.cR meter they test moderately high. For example a 33nf cap tests as 48.7 at 7.8 kHz.....and 54nf at 1khz (the tester only has 3 frequencies). Similarly their readings are a bit all over the place. As the deck has clearly been out of commission for a very long time my instinct is to Replace these as well as any obviously out of tolerance electrolytics before applying power through a lamp limiter. would a poly film cap be a suitable replacemen for these? (of the same rating). They are marked with a black band At one end but I’m assuming that denotes which end is connected to the foil rather than polarisation? Any wisdom On these would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Have seen quite a lot of Ero paper capacitors in some of my very old German tape recorders. Many of the ones I have tested are very leaky/passing a lot of DC voltage and typically measure x 2, x 3 or more their stated capacitance value.
Old 8th Jun 2020, 1:26 pm   #15
Whaam68
Hexode

Thanks all
I’m not really bothered about the internal look...heretical I know. The parts stash has turned up some polyester (I think) 630 & 400v caps in the values I need. Examples attached. The nice looking Vishay polyprops linked above are quite pricey...I’m tempted to use what I have to get the thing going. I don’t think the foil is marked on these...I’m assuming that’s not going to cause an issue?
Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77CECA16-42B2-42EB-8552-49DEF5C8959E.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	208009  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 5:30 pm   #16
Radio Wrangler

Probably mylar or polyester.

Mylar is a brand name for PET (poly ether tetra-phthalate like pop bottles) which has been physically stressed.

THe manufacturer of your set would have been perfectly happy to have used these.

David
Old 8th Jun 2020, 6:28 pm   #17
Maarten
Dekatron

Polypropylene in an old radio is typically only necessary for snubber capacitors (boucherot circuit), capacitors across rectifiers or across inductions. Of course capacitors across the mains or from mains to ground need to be X2 or Y2 rated respectively, which may be polypropylene, polyester or ceramic.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 1:09 am   #18
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The main thing to beware of with polyester capacitors is that they are prone to 'Dielectric Absorption'

If you use them in things like integrators and analogue to digital converters (particularly the integrator in a DVM) they will drive you up the wall. Discharge them completely fairly quickly, then remove the shunt and watch them charge themselves back up!

They can cause the oddest low frequency instabilities in feedback loops.

For most audio and radio purposes they're rarely a problem, but be careful in the feedback filter of phase locked loops.

If you've never run into this before, the first time comes as a bit of a surprise. Impossible things seem to be happening.

David
You can think of them as having an equivalent circuit consisting of a main capacitor in parallel with several other CR series units of low capacitance and high resistance.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread