UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2010, 2:57 pm   #1
Vespaman
Retired Dormant Member

Default KB ER30 problems

After many years of regular trouble free use this old box of tricks has developed a sickness. It has always performed perfectly; no loss of power, no crackles, no noisy switches-everything A-0K but now it will only go for about 10 minutes before it acts as if the volume control has suddenly gone down the tubes. The programme can still be heard faintly and some knob twiddling brings it back intermittently before it finally reverts to a whisper. I suspect it must be something heat-related.

Any suggestions from the experts out there?
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 3:16 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: KB ER30 problems

It could be a number of things, but the first thing I would do is replace THAT capacitor and any other waxies that may be left inside it.

Then check for loose connections and dodgy soldering joints which fail when warm. Then go round the valves you have and measure voltages before and after the fault occurs.

There is a sheet available here: http://www.service-data.com/product.php/3192/4145

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 4:08 pm   #3
gezza123
Heptode

As Steve said change that cap+the waxies.before you do, you could switch the set to gram put a signal in the gram socket to test the amp,if it is the amp change (C 21 coupling cap to pin 7 6V6GT)very common in this set,and the circuit above is only £1.99 Email delivery is exellent.hope this helps Gezza
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 6:38 pm   #4
radiotircoed
Pentode

Should we be posting a sticky regarding 'that capacitor' ? Maybe we have and I've not seen it. Slap my hand if I missed it....

Bob W
Old 4th Nov 2010, 1:49 am   #5
Tim
Dekatron

Also check valve top caps,audio amp valve (6Q7G?), and anode resistor thereof.
Old 4th Nov 2010, 11:15 am   #6
Vespaman
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks for all your erudite suggestions; now I just hope that I can get all those horrible knobs off so that I can get inside to do the operation!

Richard
Old 4th Nov 2010, 1:26 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

They probably just pull off, but rotate and check for screw holes.
If the former you may have to resort to the string/handkerchief trick.
Old 4th Nov 2010, 11:07 pm   #8
gezza123
Heptode

Yes they pull off,the best way I found was to use a long thin screwdriver and take of the clips off first, then push them off from the inside ,also make shure you have something or someone to catch them as they fly out,don't try to pull them from the outside as these knobs break very easy in the centre.and you may be looking for some new ones ,good luck.Gezza
Closed Thread