UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2010, 2:47 am   #1
Tim Mitchell
Retired Dormant Member

Default British Victor?

Hello All,

I am in Melbourne Australia, I have a radio cabinet from the 1920s that I am trying to identify. It has two holes for knobs but no dial. But the interesting thing is the circular gold insignia says victor and shows a knight on a horse with a lance. Rca never used that logo, neither did Victor in the US. Was there a British Victor in the 20s?

If anyone has seen this logo or cabinet or knows who may have made it, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Tim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	victor 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	41989   Click image for larger version

Name:	victor 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	41990   Click image for larger version

Name:	victor 3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	41991   Click image for larger version

Name:	victor 4.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	41992  

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 28th Oct 2010 at 6:11 am. Reason: Remotely hosted images converted to thumbnails.
Old 28th Oct 2010, 8:30 am   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: British Victor?

I have never heard of them. Thats a nice cabinet .No dial? whats going on with the top?
Old 28th Oct 2010, 9:45 am   #3
paulsherwin

My guess would be that this is Australian. The history of early radio in Australia is quite unusual and resulted in domestic manufacturing from the very start. I'm no expert on this subject though.
Old 28th Oct 2010, 10:06 am   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

There was indeed a 'British Victor' but more famous later for film sound equipment; they became part of EKCO and it could well be they used it as an export brand for 'visual' products rather than audio.

Barry
Old 29th Oct 2010, 3:12 pm   #5
Tim Mitchell
Retired Dormant Member

The top is complete, however I have removed the sliding boards to show that they can be removed. I assume that they were made like that for adjustments, as the back looks like it had a panel inserted in it to close it off.

The dial was probably a small graduated metal disk mounted around the tuning knob with a pointer on the knob. Some American sets did that during this period.

There is no knowledge of an Australian victor making radios in the 20s however that doesn't mean that there wasn't of course. The timber used is a combination of black walnut and Australian Blackwood, and as blackwood was exported at that time and used in other countries for radio cabinets, it doesn't help too much.

Thanks for the tip Barry, I may look into that one.

I thought I would exhaust the other options and as a last resort assume it was Australian.

Tim.
Old 29th Oct 2010, 11:12 pm   #6
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I had a feeling that the top was deliberately like that .It looks very late styling for top inspection panels , but that goes with an earlier dial .Interesting .
Old 30th Oct 2010, 12:03 am   #7
Tim Mitchell
Retired Dormant Member

What I am hearing is that the styling looks like 1929 to 1930 what do you think?
Closed Thread