UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2021, 8:02 pm   #1
bobhowe
Heptode

Default Bush VHF61

Hi thought i change what radio i am working on as people must be sick of me with DAC90A at the moment . Anyway her we go i got a Bush VHF61 from the Council tip years ago for less than £5 good cabinet speaker cloth and back gets it back home takes the back off and it had been robbed the EZ80 & EL84 valves so i changed C56 grid coupling capacitor put a EL84 valve but did not have have a EZ80 so i used a EZ81 instead . Plugged in nothing on MW LW but on VHF loud & clear and the EM81 bright & very responsive to the tuning . I know the all the Hunts black capacitors should be changed but would that be the cause of no MW & LW ? & what order should i change them one at a time as i would like to learn what capacitor is causing the problem kind regards Bob
Old 9th Jul 2021, 8:22 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush VHF61

I would clean the wavechange switches and then standard fault finding, voltages , signal injection, test that the LO is working etc.
Old 10th Jul 2021, 5:07 pm   #3
bobhowe
Heptode

Hi took Franks advise and cleaned the wave change switches still nothing on MW & LW with hum from the speaker but great on FM have not got i signal generator & been honest i would not know how to use one . Looking at Bush Trader 1301 sheet ( From this forums service data ) there is a lot of capacitors in this set & i dont want to do a capacitor blanket change & learn nothing i would like to change the one by one till i find the fault . Any suggestions what number capacitors on the trader sheet should i change & what order any advise would be grateful kind regards Bob
Old 10th Jul 2021, 5:16 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Take some voltage reading and check the LO is working, they may identify the faulty stage.

Have you seen this about fault finding etc?
https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...ion/index.html
Old 11th Jul 2021, 2:56 pm   #5
bobhowe
Heptode

Hi problem sorted ( MY fault in 2013 when i changed C56 ) took the chassis out of the cabinet to do some voltage readings and seen that one of the wires from the ferrite aerial had come away from the tag strip on the chassis soldered it back to the tag strip playing great on all wave bands learned that it is easy to overlook things when you are working on old sets . kind regards Bob

Last edited by bobhowe; 11th Jul 2021 at 2:56 pm. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread