UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2021, 2:23 pm   #1
dpanahy
Diode

Default Loose aerial question

Not an expert, so hoping for helpful advice. Please excuse any incorrect terms...

I have a Hacker Sovereign II RP25B. The telescopic aerial itself is tightly attached to the case and extends OK but the swivel part is very loose, so if you tilt the aerial at all beyond vertical, it flops over. There is a sort of ratchet arrangement in the swivel which seems spring loaded?

The 'blade' part of the aerial sits in jaws and I was wondering if this needs to be an interference fit or whether it is perhaps an issue with the spring.

Any advice on how to fix this much appreciated.

Thought I would ask before attempting to dismantle it...

Thanks,
Old 5th Jul 2021, 3:58 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Loose aerial question

Some telescopic aerials simply have a screw through the pivot point that can be tightened carefully with a watchmaker's screwdriver. My Hacker Hunter RP38A doesn't, and appears to have a spring-loaded stop that presses against the bottom tip of the extendable portion. If yours is the same the only option is either to replace the aerial with one of the appropriate size or else dismantle it and try to figure out what has gone wrong with it. As a bodge I suppose you could strip a short length of multi-strand wire and use one of the strands to wrap around the pivot point to stiffen it. Cheers, Jerry

Last edited by cathoderay57; 5th Jul 2021 at 4:08 pm.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 4:03 pm   #3
dpanahy
Diode

The pivot does not have a screw head - seems to be a pin. Possibly could be punched out if that is what it takes to replace the spring? Hopefully someone has a definitive answer.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 5:38 pm   #4
G1RAO keith
Pentode

Hi
Some times there is a very thin washer placed in the forks of the mount if it's that kind of mount, then as the screw is tightened up it can grip the base of the aerial to stop it moving too much, the washer is usually a bit crinkly.

Regards, Keith.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 8:46 pm   #5
cathoderay57
Nonode

This thread might be useful - the image shows how the knuckle joint works using ball bearings and a spring. It indicates that you will probably have to drive the pivot pin out and see what has happened to the inner spring. https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=74833 Good luck! Jerry
Closed Thread