UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2021, 11:28 pm   #1
Andy Green
Hexode

Default Bush TR190 - distorted audio

My wife's Aunt (who recently lost their husband) asked me if there was any way to convert her old Bush transistor radio to receive FM. This was a radio she had as a teenager in the 60's, and means a lot to her. So I volunteered to have a look, how hard could it be?

The first problem to fix is that the radio seemed to have pretty poor sensitivity, and the audio, such that it was, sounded quite distorted.

I have Paul's Data USB stick with the service information, so I set about trying to figure out the fault.

I didn't have a modulated sig gen to hand, only a standard audio sig gen, so I injected a sine wave into the wiper of the volume control, and looking at the waveform, it resembled a pretty good sine wave, and sounded like one too.

I then set about looking for likely looking capacitors to swap out, and I spotted some white corrosion around the one feeding the pot from the detector. Swapping it out, the audio distortion was pretty sorted, and I could tune in BBC R4 on LW, and BBC Radio Wales on MW (there's not much receivable on AM here in Ireland anymore in the daytime).

So I proceeded to build the I4CY kit:-

https://www.i4cy.com/m0oox/fm2am/

and fired it up. It seemed to work for a few minutes, but while experimenting with it, the Bush audio went back the way it was again, so after checking the battery voltage and taking the radio outside again to check R4 and BBC Wales, I packed up for the day.

Any common faulty components or tips on where to go next?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2421.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	237044  

Last edited by Andy Green; 3rd Jul 2021 at 11:44 pm. Reason: add picture
Old 4th Jul 2021, 12:34 am   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush TR190 - distorted audio

Unless it's an Irish version, it appears to be a TR130. The mixer has been changed at some time, but the two IF transistors are AF117s, prone to tin whiskers, although that usually means dead!
Old 4th Jul 2021, 9:29 am   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

It's worth checking the current consumption ,when the fault appears, try removing the output transistors from their heat sink, these can also suffer from tin whiskers.

Mick.
Old 4th Jul 2021, 12:18 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

Yes. Traditionally OC81s were in a glass case in an aluminium tube, but those look to be later ones similar to the AC128 in a tinplated case.
Closed Thread