UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2021, 9:12 pm   #1
agustin.ichu
Diode

Default Mute radio in Hitachi Boombox

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and I've joined because of a question with my Hitachi TRK 8155w.

The rig has 3 modes: tape, radio (4 band) and line in. Both tape and line input work perfectly, but when I set the switch to radio there is no sound at all, on any of the 4 bands.
It seems that both switches (mode selection and band selection) work correctly. With my limited knowledge of electronics I was able to check diodes and transistors, and apparently none of them are burned. To the naked eye all the components are OK, no rust or burns are visible and the board tracks look OK.

I find it strange that it makes absolutely no sound. Has anyone had something similar happen to know where the problem might be? If someone has the manual in particular of this model would help me, I have found several on the internet but none of this model.

Greetings from Argentina!
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 10:29 am   #2
FIXITNOW
Octode

Default Re: Mute radio in Hitachi Boombox

Try joining this site:-

https://boomboxery.com/forum/
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 10:58 am   #3
G6ONEDave
Octode

I would start by metering out all the switch contacts for continuity on switch 'S2'. This is located at the top of the pcb above the audio output chips. At least that's where it is on the TRK8155E. There might be a resistive contact, dry joint or broken track that is not allowing the supply to get to the radio stages. I could scan and email the TRK8155E version to you but there will be some differences either cosmetically and or some circuitry variance. Please PM me if you think this might help you.

Dave
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 11:30 pm   #4
agustin.ichu
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXITNOW View Post
try joining this site
https://boomboxery.com/forum/
Thank you very much! I will keep it in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
I would start by metering out all the switch contacts for continuity on switch 'S2'. This is located at the top of the pcb above the audio output chips. At least that's where it is on the TRK8155E. There might be a resistive contact, dry joint or broken track that is not allowing the supply to get to the radio stages. I could scan and email the TRK8155E version to you but there will be some differences either cosmetically and or some circuitry variance. Please PM me if you think this might help you.

Dave
Thank you very much David! Testing the key all positions work correctly. I'll see if it's a problem in the tracks. But you have guided me. Yes! I could really use the manual. Please send it to me at removed by moderator

Thanks!

Last edited by Station X; 3rd Jul 2021 at 8:44 am. Reason: Email address removed. Please exchange details using the Private Messaging (PM) system.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 4:10 pm   #5
G6ONEDave
Octode

You will need to send me your email address via the PM (private message) facility, which can be found by left clicking my name that's in blue text on the left of this post. This will take you to a new private message box, where you can enter your details.

Dave