UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2021, 5:16 pm   #1
mister valve
Hexode

Default Murphy A40C Tuning Dial Query.

I have been lucky enough to acquire a "Murphy A40C" Radio, and will be fully restoring it in due course.
The question I have is :- I have noticed that the 'Long-wave' stations are not marked on the tuning dial, nor does it say "Long Wave" where I think it should - although there are spaces between the 'Medium-wave' stations for the names to go.
The question is, should it be like this or should there be names on there ? If so what colour was the print for Long-wave stations ?

I have a list of station names and frequencies/wave lengths under the "Lucerne Plan" 1934-1950 which this set falls well within.
Does anyone have a picture of the 'Tuning Dial' for this model they could upload?

Many thanks !
Old 19th May 2021, 5:23 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Murphy A40C Tuning Dial Query.

I thought the print for long waves was red but I know that the red fades on many pre war sets more than the other colours.

Must admit I cant remember for sure the colours on my A40 and I can't currently access it.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 19th May 2021, 6:23 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes, "Long Wave" and all the LW stations are in red. I'll get to work on a photo and put it here shortly.

Paul

Ah, it will take a little longer than expected. My camera records to SD card, new laptop doesn't have SD card slot, so I first have to upload to my cranky old laptop which turns out to have a Windows update that it needs to finish installing. As I recall, the A36 has a similar dial and when I had an A36 its LW stations had more or less vanished: or perhaps it has an identical dial and I exchanged the faded station list on my A40C for a still bright one from the A36.

Last edited by Paul_RK; 19th May 2021 at 6:44 pm.
Old 19th May 2021, 7:08 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

And here it is. I'm just about sure now that this scale started life on an A36 but is of identical design to the A40C's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a40c2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	234448  
Old 19th May 2021, 8:21 pm   #5
mister valve
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
And here it is. I'm just about sure now that this scale started life on an A36 but is of identical design to the A40C's.
Many thanks for that !
The sunlight must have completely erased the Red print, as there is not even a faded trace of the old print.

I'll set about obtaining some red stick-on lettering of the correct size, and replace all the longwave station names.

I understand that there are some companies (or maybe private individuals) that make replacement 'dials' for certain models of radios, so I'll give the Internet a trawl see what comes up.

I am grateful to you for uploading a picture of the 'Dial' as it should be. This shows me what colour & type of lettering to get. Once again, many thanks.
Old 19th May 2021, 8:36 pm   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

You're very welcome. Always good to hear of another A40C, a perennial candidate for the best UK domestic radio ever put into production: its sound quality must have amazed anyone who heard it in 1937.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister valve View Post
I understand that there are some companies (or maybe private individuals) that make replacement 'dials' for certain models of radios...
Ben Dijkman has certainly done some very fine work -

https://www.bendijkman.nl/index.php?...roduct&ipath=9

I don't know if he might be open to making replacement station scales for the A36/A40C, it couldn't be inexpensive but there might be a few owners willing to pay what he needed in order to put the finishing touch to their restorations.

Paul
Old 20th May 2021, 2:40 am   #7
MurphyNut
Heptode

I'd certainly be interested if a batch was made up, My A40 has faded lettering to.