UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2010, 11:32 am   #1
winchman
Triode

Default Pye VHF2D Continental, help please.

Hello, Just bought a PYE VHF2D Continental from the local car boot sale for a friend of a friend, didn't pay much looks complete but when I plug it in nothing happened, could you give me a clue where to start?

I am an engineer so I have some idea of circuits, power supplies etc but never this old.
I would just like to give him a working radio rather than a box of bits.
Old 31st Oct 2010, 11:54 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Pye VHF2D Continental, help please.

Welcome to the forum.

First get yourself the circuit diagram and service data using the link in the top right corner. http://www.service-data.com/section.php/6797/1 It's Trader sheet 1410 if you already have Trader sheets.

Simple checks.
Is there continuity through between live and neutral with the set switched on? If not, there's a problem with the fuse in the plug, voltage selector or on/off switch. This last can be bridged across for now if it's faulty. We're trying to get as far as 6.3V AC to the heaters so that they are glowing and a feww 100V AC from the transformer to V6, the rectifier.

There is one capacitor that MUST be replaced. We call it "that" capacitor. The coupling cap to the output valve. It will be leaky and can easily damage the output valve and output transformer. It's C60 on the Trader sheet 10nf, use a 400V part.

PS: Component numbers I'm giving are from the Trader sheet. The Pye official data is likely to be differently numbered.

PPS: Don't forget that there are high voltages in valve equipment. We don't like losing members.

PPPS: I don't think you're too far from Steve Pendlebury in Bolton if you need some "hands on" help. I'm sure he'll reply to this thread shortly.
Old 31st Oct 2010, 12:20 pm   #3
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

When you have done all the things which Jeffrey suggests the next things to look at are the push buttons.

These sets were Pye's answer to the German Grundigs and others with press button wave band selection rather than the British style of rotary selector. They do give trouble especially if the set has been out of use for a few years.

Another weak point is the audio stage which is on its own printed circuit board. The valve holder for the output valve gives problems due to high operating temperatures. Watch out for loose or burnt contacts on and around the holder.

These sets are capable of very good results and are well worth spending some time and effort to get them working.
Old 31st Oct 2010, 12:21 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I have overhauled one of these. Check that the on-off switch is working, I think on this model it is on the side of the push button assembly. Clean it, the waveband switch assembly and all the valve pins/sockets and potentiometers with Servisol 10. 'THAT' capacitor in this set is a ceramic disc type so it should be OK but do check it and replace any wax capacitors.

Howard
Old 31st Oct 2010, 12:37 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

How did you know Jeffrey?

Anyway, the E range valves in this set, so if they are all out then there's no 6.3 Volts.

Start with the set off, and measure the cable from Plug to On-Off switch. The On-Off switch could be mucky - just rock it back and forth a few times. There should be 0 ohms across each section with it working.

The next place to go is the mains voltage selector on the mains transformer. Clean here too.

Across the plug pins, there should be a reading with the set switched on. If there is, then the primary side is probably OK,

See if there is AC on the anodes of the rectifier. It's an EZ80 and the pins you want are Pins 1 and 7. Count round clockwise from the gap in the pins, from the left hand one with the valve pins facing you.

The dial lights come from a separate winding by the way, Just because these are out will not render the set dead!

When the set comes to life, some capacitors will need to be changed. Especially C39 (Pye sheet).

Or you could come along to the North West Swapmeet on 21st November at Golborne and I'll take a look. You can even buy parts etc. while you're here. I am on a stall called Bodgitt and Scaper Vintage Radio Repairs.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 31st Oct 2010, 5:16 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
How did you know Jeffrey?
Telepathy You always know when there's trouble at 'mill.
Old 31st Oct 2010, 5:51 pm   #7
winchman
Triode

Well thanks
I will try and have a look over the next few days inbetween my decorating LOL
Best regards
Dave
A bit more about me and my other hobbies
http://thattoheathmountainrescue.piczo.com/?cr=7

The old radio interests me and I would rather pass it on as a working one so I will do my best to get it going
Closed Thread