UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2021, 6:19 am   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Early Hacker Hunter (Speaker Grille Repair).

Good Morning All,

I picked up an overall lovely condition and quite early Hacker Hunter RP38A model from Hemswell Antiques Center yesterday.

Only paid £45 for it which I thought was good and it pulls through a very nice signal and clear sound.

The only little downside is the speaker grille on the front has a few dings.

I Just wondered if anyone had any advice on how to best remove the front panel and how to get out the indentations?

I have heard that using two flat wooden breadboards and squashing the speaker grille between them with weight on top will probably help.

Hope someone can offer some help as other than this the unit is pretty much flawless.

Thanks

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 8.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	237456  

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 11th Jul 2021 at 6:32 am.
Old 11th Jul 2021, 2:40 pm   #2
Tractionist
Heptode

Default Re: Early Hacker Hunter (Speaker Grille Repair).

You remove the chassis - carefully lift the aluminium tangs securing the grille to the case/cabinet ..... then gently ease it off.

Then ...................

You place the exterior main [formerly] flat/true grille area on a truly flat hard surface e.g. a polished slate/granite/marble kitchen chopping board - ensuring that the top/bottom/side 'raised perimeter' areas hang over and are not pressing upon this hard surface. And then - you get a good/hard/clean wallpaper seam roller and press very hard when rolling it over the rear of the dented/deformed areas.

Be brave - it works and I've done it many times.