UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2021, 4:45 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Ekco A22 dial and speaker cloth!

I have just finished fitting the dial and speaker cloth to the Ekco A22 the new dial is the one one the left , the dial one the right is an original dial ,I was wondering were the dials white when new or were they always more of an off white .The one on the left cost me £50 in the early 80's still a lot of money then I was wondering if I had done the right thing . some years later I noticed that it had a small hairline crack , which I filled with super glue , it remains stable .
The story is the one on the right I purchased recently had a perfect case but needed a new dial so I used the original dial of the first one so as to keep the set all original , and it's not often I do this but in this case I re stuffed all the wax capacitors ,so as to look all original ,comments as to which cloth suits the set best please .Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0017 (4).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	236817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0018 (3).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	236818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0019 (4).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	236819  

Last edited by vinrads; 30th Jun 2021 at 4:51 pm.
Old 30th Jun 2021, 5:13 pm   #2

Default Re: Ekco A22 dial and speaker cloth!

You are very lucky getting a near perfect dial, I think the black model needs the whiter one.

The white dial is/was made using my artwork which I made available to anyone and published it on this forum. There are two things that make me know (no I am not going to tell you) both could be considered mistakes though. I am glad my work is being used (I didn't get a free dial though!). The maker didn't ask but then again I did make it fully available and it was worth it to get a few more A22s looking good.

Here is a quiz, what is the different twixt?

Old 30th Jun 2021, 5:40 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Very nice! I have 2 A22’s here, one black that was a total wreck, and a brown one that is near mint. The brown one has a cracked dial, I’ve not tried to fix it for fear of making a right hash job of it! I also bought one of the repro ones (many thanks merlinmaxwell for the artwork!), is it just me or is the repro made from slightly thinner material to the original? If the repro dials hadn’t have been available I would probably not have bought the crusty old A22 that I did!

I think I prefer the speaker grille cloth in picture no.2, I still haven’t decided on a replacement for mine yet, as well as getting the ring re-chromed. I really need to get back to that project!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 30th Jun 2021, 6:07 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Here is a quiz, what is the different twixt?
Looking from the low wavelength end of MW I'm seeing Brussels II rather than III and N rather than NTH (TH in a smaller font) Ireland. Still a most impressive piece of work!

My black A22 has this later dial pattern, the brown one, which disconcertingly I've now owned for more than two-thirds of its life, has a dial with the pre-July '45 stations (Regionals and London National).

Paul
Old 30th Jun 2021, 6:15 pm   #5
Dickie
Octode

The "19m Band" legend is not in the middle of the band marking on the off-white dial?

Richard, BVWS member
Old 30th Jun 2021, 6:50 pm   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi Just to make it clear the off white one is the original on a Black and chrome model that's why I was asking were they off white to start with , thanks for all the replies ,Mick.
Old 30th Jun 2021, 6:50 pm   #7
PJL
Dekatron

BBC Nth IRELAND
Old 30th Jun 2021, 9:20 pm   #8

Quote:
Looking from the low wavelength end of MW I'm seeing Brussels II rather than III and N rather than NTH
They where on the dial I used for reference, the details are a bit more subtle. One is a "couldn't be bothered with the CAD and it looked OK anyway" the other is a genuine error.

I will leave it for a few more posts and then (perhaps) confess.

Old 30th Jun 2021, 10:01 pm   #9
vinrads
Dekatron

I look at it this way I am only to happy that someone who is clever than me has gone to the trouble of doing the artwork and making the dials ,a big thank you ,Mick
Old 30th Jun 2021, 10:12 pm   #10
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Me too, I was considering making my own, but it would never have been as good! On the scruffy black and chrome set I bought, the dial that came with it was actually a piece of 3mm Perspex cut to shape with a photocopy of an original dial stuck to the back of it! The photocopy even included copies of the bits of felt stuck round the edges... I’ve kept it, but I’ll probably replace the photocopy at some point and use it on another scrap chassis!

Regards
Lloyd
Closed Thread