UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2021, 7:10 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Worst mains lead yet!

That twisted single-insulated flex [and its figure-of-8-moulded buddy] were ubiquitous as leads on table-lamps, standard-lamps and electric clocks well into the 1970s. it was also popular as the pendant drop-cable from ceiling roses to bulbholders - where the heat from a 100-Watt bulb rapidly hardened and embrittled the insulation.

Somewhere, I've got one of those 1960s 'rocket' lamps with a spun-fibreglass tube suppoted on three stamped-metal 'fins' as legs; it has two 60-Watt bulbs, daisy-chained with that twisted-pair flex, and terminated in a 5A 2-pin plug. Haven't used it for decades, but when new it was definitely on-trend, and also lethal as I remember the flex skinning itself on one of the metal fins
Old 10th Mar 2021, 7:24 pm   #22
emeritus
Dekatron

AFAIR the insulation is thicker than it looks. The transparent insulation acts like a lens, making the conductors seem closer to the surface than they really are.

When we went to Warners a couple of years ago, the bedside lamps appeared to be fitted with this type of flex. On close inspection, the twin twisted individually-insulated conductors were sheathed with equally transparent insulation. The additional sheath meant they were slightly less flexible than the old single insulated stuff.
Old 10th Mar 2021, 7:49 pm   #23
Brigham
Octode

I use that transparent twin wherever the old figure-8 would be appropriate. It really looks the part.
Old 10th Mar 2021, 7:51 pm   #24
crackle
Rest in Peace

OK to laugh at that twisted pair mains lead, but that sort of cable was used on Christmas tree lights just a few decades ago.

Mike
Old 10th Mar 2021, 7:58 pm   #25
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Safe as milk that, used properly with chassis grommets and a well connected modern plug.
I wouldn't trust that flimsy flex with 240 volts, even with a plug fitted with a 1 amp fuse. Heaven help a child or a pet chewing on it.
As usual, just my opinion!
Dave, usradcoll1
You (in the US) don't have to!

Used sensibly it's ok. I mean, the specified metal shrouding used to protect house wiring that's let into a plastered wall will not protect it from a masonry nail being driven in. But it's considered safe. Thicker mains cable is the same, a dog can easily bite through it.
The lead that had been fitted (and I use the word 'fitted' in the loosest term) wasn't that safe in my opinion as it wasn't secure in the flex grip as it was so thin. It wasn't sleeved or double insulated in any way. The replacement (Pasteurized) lead I fitted is much better, it is double insulated and secure. As the set is being used in my garage I think it is better to be safe than sorry!
As I said previously, the flex (that I have seen) used on Christmas lights, table lamps and the like is thicker and more flexible than this was.
Closed Thread