UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2021, 6:16 pm   #1
Lilu_cat
Diode

Default Anyone know what this is?

Does anyone know what model this radio is?

The closest I can find is the Philips 341A but all the ones I have seen are black and have slightly different knobs on the front. I got it in a house clearance and just want to find some more information on it as I don't know much about these things. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips Radio.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	228769  
Old 9th Mar 2021, 7:06 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Anyone know what this is?

Looks like a B3G74A.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_g74a.html
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Mar 2021, 7:06 pm   #3
JoshWard
Octode

Hi there, It's a Philips B3G74A It looks to be in very good condition, usually the paint is badly chipped/falling off!
Old 9th Mar 2021, 8:36 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Please DON'T just plug it in to see if it works. You may cause expensive damage to what is otherwise a very nice set.
Have a read of the stickies about restoring sets and have a go yourself if you have the knowledge to try; failing that there are folk on here who will assist you.

Ed
Old 9th Mar 2021, 9:08 pm   #5
Lilu_cat
Diode

Thank you so much for your replies!
Old 9th Mar 2021, 9:11 pm   #6
Lilu_cat
Diode

Thank you for your warning.. unfortunately I had already plugged in and turned on as I didn't realise I shouldn't! It did work and I spent the afternoon listening to the one radio station I could find on it. Should I now leave it turned off until I can get it restored or does that mean it's okay to use?
Old 9th Mar 2021, 9:29 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Don't think those knobs are original....too modern. As advised DON'T PLUG IT IN to see if it works. It will need fully servicing after all these years.
Old 9th Mar 2021, 9:36 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilu_cat View Post
Thank you for your warning.. unfortunately I had already plugged in and turned on as I didn't realise I shouldn't! It did work and I spent the afternoon listening to the one radio station I could find on it. Should I now leave it turned off until I can get it restored or does that mean it's okay to use?
Sometimes you get away with it. If this were mine I wouldn't turn it back on until the output valve coupling capacitor (AKA 'that capcitor') has been changed. The radio will perform much better after a recapping, quite apart from the 'that capacitor' issue - the Philips 'black pitch' caps inside these are pretty notorious.

Of course, it's possible that the previous owner had some or all of the caps replaced - quite likely if they were a vintage radio enthusiast.
Old 9th Mar 2021, 11:16 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Don't think those knobs are original....too modern.
They do, however, look identical to the knobs on the one Herald1360 linked to at radiomuseum.org.
Old 10th Mar 2021, 7:47 am   #10
JoshWard
Octode

Yes, the knobs are original. They seem to go brittle and chip around the edge. This was my one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0376.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	228796  
Old 10th Mar 2021, 10:59 am   #11
slidertogrid
Octode

What a lovely radio! As others have said it is probably a good idea to have it checked over.
As to if the capacitors are in need of replacement a lot depends on how the set has been kept. If it has always been kept in the warm and used from time to time the capacitors will be in better condition to a set that has been in a unheated damp area . If the capacitors are in need of replacement particularly the one in the amplifier that causes problems I would have thought the sound would have gone distorted and low volume after running for a while.
If the capacitors in the receiver side have deteriorated you may get various howls and whistles and or popping noises with the reception dropping in and out as you tune it.
I don't always think replacing all of the capacitors as a matter of course always applies in every case...
I am sure others will have a different opinion though.
I have a Philips set with the same "black tar" capacitors I have owned it for 30 years or so it's always been kept in the warm and dry . It works perfectly with all of its original capacitors still in place. I have no intention of replacing them unless the set shows signs of problems.

Rich
Old 10th Mar 2021, 6:55 pm   #12
Lilu_cat
Diode

Thanks everyone you've been a great help!
Closed Thread