UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2022, 12:24 pm   #21
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Is there an 'industry standard' for a receiver?

Hi.

A design which works very well for a reflex receiver is the "FET Reflex Receiver" by A.W. Whittington, Radio Constructor, August 1971. It is based on the successful G.W. Short's designs. I remember how sensitive the receiver is and the number of stations which could be received. Selectivity is also good for a reflex receiver. The circuit is intended to be used with high impedance headphones which aren't generally available these days. A useful dodge is to use a small low voltage mains transformer to help match lower Z phones to the circuit. Please see attached circuit diagram.

I've also built many of the Sir Douglas Hall's circuits which are certainly interesting but not conventional for say a beginner. My favourite SDH design is the "DRC 3 Bandspread Short Wave Receiver" from RC, June 1972. It has permeability tuning using two ferrite rod aerials.

Regards,
Symon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FET Reflex.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	255900  

Last edited by Philips210; 23rd Apr 2022 at 12:33 pm.
Old 26th Apr 2022, 8:03 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I still think the direct-conversion RX is the way ahead; quite a few of the current cheap-and-cheerful receivers you buy in the likes of Tesco/Lidl use this technique to get I- and Q-elements and then the rest is software... they even give-away such receivers at some sporting events!

As to the 'success' of DC receivers, I think it was Ten-Tec in the US who sold a 20-metre-band QRP CW transceiver that used a DC RX - the "Power Mite" series - it's a great way since you already have a VFO running on the frequency for the transmitter...

I built a DC RX for 2 Metres! A Pye transmit-oscillator/driver strip was modified to be a VXO on 4MHz followed by the multiplier chain to get 100 Milliwatts of shiftable-carrier on 144MHz; this then went into one side of one of the little packaged double-balanced-diode mixer packages.

The antenna was fed into the other port of the mixer-package, after first having been put through a bandpass-filter and a U310 JFET grounded-gate RF amp.

It could easily hear 0.1 Microvolt of SSB, and the VXO gave about 80KHz shift before it became drifty.

So don't say DC receivers don't work!
Old 26th Apr 2022, 10:04 pm   #23
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
I'd avoid reflex designs as they are a bit convoluted as Paul says. Also difficult for the beginner to get his/her head around. It's an unnecessary complication these days, as they only came about in order to save on the cost of another transistor/valve. Transistors are so cheap now that it's easier to just shove an extra stage in.
I don't entirely agree with that but everyone has his/her own opinions. Yes I started off with a crystal set but soon got fed up with it....We were about 4 miles from the Croydon 405 mast at the time and BBC would tend to come crashing in instead of normal radio. I did manage to get the Light (now R2) and Home (now R4) by using a different coil but BBC was always hovering in the background.

I then picked up my brother's copy of Practical Wireless (I think September 1965) which had a beginners reflex radio featured. Having mastered soldering and reading simple circuit diagrams (I was 12 at the time) my brother helped me source all the parts and I set to work with a piece of hardboard for the chassis and built the featured radio which included winding the aerial and reaction coils.

It was one of the most successful beginner radio's I ever built. The normal MW stations came romping in (including pirates Caroline and London) and it was so loud, I even got it to drive a small loudspeaker. Not bad for two transistors (OC44 and OC71).
Old 26th Apr 2022, 10:17 pm   #24
commie1
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
I then picked up my brother's copy of Practical Wireless (I think September 1965) which had a beginners reflex radio featured.
It was one of the most successful beginner radio's I ever built.
Yes, okay, but is that the end of the story?, what comes next? How about a 1935 HRO single superhetrodyne receiver.
Old 27th Apr 2022, 6:19 pm   #25
commie1
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
I'd avoid reflex designs as they are a bit convoluted as Paul says. Also difficult for the beginner to get his/her head around. It's an unnecessary complication these days, as they only came about in order to save on the cost of another transistor/valve. Transistors are so cheap now that it's easier to just shove an extra stage in.
Hi Andrew,

I am in full agreement with you. Reflex, just another single tank glorified crystal set.
Closed Thread