UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 24th May 2024, 8:21 pm   #21
chaz007
Triode

Default Re: B/White Sets In Use Still etc.

I have a late 70’s Bush ranger 2 12” set in the garage, it was my parents and my first telly when I was 7 or 8. I plugged it into a vcr recently to see what was on some tapes and it still works
chaz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2024, 8:27 pm   #22
agardiner
Octode

With regard to the OP's original query; it is likely that the TV Licensing statistics will be updated soon. They form part of the annual review which is made up to the end of March each year, and the report is usually published in June.
agardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2024, 11:16 pm   #23
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeauckland View Post
I have a small 5" B&W TV in my workshop, connected to a DVD player I use as an audio source, just so I can see the menus when necessary.

It's branded 'Marksman' and also has an AM/FM radio built in. Battery or external 12v operated, so presumably was aimed at caravans, campers etc. rather than home users. Antenna and composite video inputs. Useful little box.

S.
I've got a similar one I got as a free gift for opening an account with Grattans over 20 years ago, which still works well. No composite input though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2004.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	297996  
Old 25th May 2024, 12:08 am   #24
19Seventy7
Octode

I do wonder how many of those thousands of B/W licences are for those with colour TV, but with impaired vision, colour blindness being one of the most obvious. I don't doubt that a chunk of them are for those still using monochrome.

If it's of interest, although I own several colour sets I tend to do most of my day to day watching in monochrome, and in both 625 and 405 lines. There's just something about black and white I really enjoy. It tends to be movies that get watched in colour - and that's not all the time either. If I were living alone, I'd definitely only be on a B/W licence.
19Seventy7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2024, 3:28 pm   #25
Studio263
Octode

I've got colour sets but I do most of my everyday viewing in monochrome. The set I use most is a Sony TV9-306 (small), followed by a B&O 1600 (big) and a 17" Philips 320 (somewhere inbetween).

You can see the world in colour whenever you want (just look out of the window) but TV in some ways makes more sense in mono.
Studio263 is offline   Reply With Quote